Which Breed Shall I Hatch?

Is it advisable? For most people, no. Especially beginners, which I don’t think you are. I have had 9 cockerels, and I’ve had to butcher all but 3 of them, since they were aggressive. I just butchered my last two mean ones earlier. One of the three is a silkie cockerel, and silkies are known for being very sweet chickens. If you are going to keep a cockerel, it’s more of (in my experience) let it live for a few months, and determine if it’s aggressive or not. Unless you want it for breeding, I would not recommend getting/keeping one.
Ok. Yeah I have experience with hens. Been keeping them since I was a little kid.
Just never had a rooster though.
I might give it a go. I live in a rural area so noise shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then suppose I'll just have a free meal.

Ok. Yeah I have experience with hens. Been keeping them since I was a little kid.
Just never had a rooster though.
I might give it a go. I live in a rural area so noise shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then suppose I'll just have a free meal.
Before keeping one, make sure you are allowed to have them. Good luck.

Tempted? :lau
thumbnail_7AB726FE-D483-455C-A59E-015AD682FF34.jpg

The most important factor in determine the best breed is your location. If one raises birds adapted for one's climate, there will be few problems.
If the birds can't handle the climate, they will always be a problem.
If you live in Minnesota, you don't want Seramas or Silkies.
If you live in Texas, Florida or Arizona, you shouldn't keep Chanteclers, Orloffs, New Hampshires or similar cold hardy breeds.
After making a short list of birds adaptable to one's climate, then from that list pick birds that match your needs, wants and personality.

Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom