Which Breed Should I get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chespo, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Chespo

Chespo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    I plan on getting 6 or so birds, and was wondering what breed is the best fit for my situation. I live in the suburbs of Northeastern New Jersey, and need a bird that can handle both cold and warm temperature, but I need a hardy and excellent egg layer that is quiet as well, being that my neighbors are close by. So I was wondering if anyone had any Suggestions. I was thinking Plymouth Rocks, RIR's, and Black or Red Stars. Also if anyone knows any day old chick sellers in the North Jersey, New York area please let me know.Thanks for your help.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. Chespo

Mar 14, 2009
    I was wondering about Easter Eggers, any recommendations or problems with them? Thanks

4. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    You're are going to get a varied opinion from the board so go with the henderson breed chart really helps.

5. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Buff orpingtons!

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My Barred Rocks are sort of loud...SO...I'd skip those. My RIR is the loudest bird I own.

Have you thought about Cochins? All 4 of mine are very laid back and almost completely silent...until feeding time.

7. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I don't know about everyone else's but my EE's are quite and are good layers too. I think they came from cackle hatchery.

8. Chespo

Mar 14, 2009
    Are RIR usually loud? and how many eggs do your Easter Eggers Produce a week?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by