Which breed should I go with?

Clucksworth12

Chirping
Apr 25, 2017
Gordo, Alabama
Hello! I have been on BYC since earlier this year, and have had chickens for about three years. I have a blended flock and I have learned that this just isnt for me. I want to get one breed of chickens to raise and keep. I know alot about every breed bit I think it is best to get advice from people who have had them.

Here are some of the things I want in a breed.

1. Friendliness. I want a docile breed I can hold and carry and transport easily.

2. Broody. This is very inportant as I want a breed that will readily brood eggs. Since an incubator is pretty high.

3. Gentle roosters. I want my roosters to not be aggresive toward me.

4. Do good confined and moderate temperatures. (Cold in the winter hot in the summer.

Thanks for any advice!

All of what you are looking for is subjective and every hen of every breed in one way or another.

You say you have a blended flock. What does that mean? Bunch of different breeds?

You know a lot about every breed but don't know what you want?

Pick a breed that you like the look of, meat/egg values, and egg color/size.

I'm going with either Faverolles or Orpington. Both extremely friendly... (From my own experience), both go broody pretty often, Buff Orpington roosters are nice and I'd like to have a Faverolle rooster someday and they both are hardy with weather.

Back
Top Bottom