Which breed? Silkie banty

A prefab...

It looks to have zero ventilation. I would make a thread in the Coops forum about adding ventilation. The peeps over there always have great suggestions.

I

I hope she does ok. I’m in SE New Mexico and 100+ is regular, 110 not uncommon. It’s been in the 90’s so far.
coop is well ventilated, and they only go in it to lay and at night. I’m thinking about putting a fan near the “chick port” I made. It’s an old small animal cage modified, with sheets and tarps wrapped around it and roosts inside.
That wouldn't be a bad idea. Just watch her. She'll let you know if she's hot. She will pant.

A prefab...

It looks to have zero ventilation. I would make a thread in the Coops forum about adding ventilation. The peeps over there always have great suggestions.
I added ventilation to it. I even have a temperature monitor in it at the top :) and they get fresh water in the bucket each morning. Sometimes more if it’s really hot or if they get it dirty.
1D2FB665-811F-4477-BFA2-0820D426E1B2.jpeg

Attachments

• DAB0ADCA-8326-4349-B2C0-B45DC5A8E0C1.jpeg
    DAB0ADCA-8326-4349-B2C0-B45DC5A8E0C1.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4863C803-EB7E-46FE-B6F1-986B84A37493.jpeg
    4863C803-EB7E-46FE-B6F1-986B84A37493.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 9D6228CD-3843-459D-A0EE-C632DC5C2AA4.jpeg
    9D6228CD-3843-459D-A0EE-C632DC5C2AA4.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 2
I added ventilation to it. I even have a temperature monitor in it at the top :) and they get fresh water in the bucket each morning. Sometimes more if it’s really hot or if they get it dirty.
View attachment 2795705
I believe chickens need about 1 sqft of ventilation per bird to be adequate.

Awesome thinking on the temp monitor!

Barred bantam cochin. I just got one of those. Hopefully she turns out as nice as yours.

View attachment 2795715
Yep, that’s what this one looked like! And her feet never get dirty, so I don’t know if she watches where she steps or cleans them immediately after lol! She’s always beautiful and never dirty, well except for a little dust lol.

They do great in the cold. They are not very heat tolerant though. All that fluff makes them hot. Make sure she's got plenty of ventilation, shade, and fresh water during the hot months of the year.

She will most likely go broody. A lot. Be prepared to let her hatch or break her promptly.
I read somewhere that the feathers on their legs can get frostbite? Has that ever happened to you?

Although, with proper ventilation that shouldnt happen, unless it rains...

Yep, that’s what this one looked like! And her feet never get dirty, so I don’t know if she watches where she steps or cleans them immediately after lol! She’s always beautiful and never dirty, well except for a little dust lol.
All my feather footed babies keep their feet clean too. Even in all this PNW mud. I don't know why people complain about their feathery little slippers. 😊

Back
Top Bottom