1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlueCamas, Oct 5, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'm looking for chicks to start my own little flock, but I'm having trouble deciding on a final breed. Any suggestions?

What I like in a chicken [​IMG]
    - good free-rangers
    - well tempered roosters
    - not too common, but not so rare that I will never find them if I want more [​IMG]
    - relatively good layers
    - Big (I would rather not clip their wings, but if I have too, I will)
    - quiet/er
    - They need to do well in cold wet climates

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    It sounds like you need a dual-purpose breed - the only requirement that will probably be hard to satisfy is a chicken that does well in a wet climate. It can be cool, they just need to at least have a dry coop to go in.

Naturally I would say Dominiques, because I have them and love the breed very much now. I wasn't so enthused about them a few years ago until a friend gave me some eggs and chicks and now I couldn't imagine not having them. They lay very well and get to be about 5 pounds hens, 6-7 for roosters. Although that is the strain I have, hatchery Dominiques could vary.

Orpingtons are friendly birds, pretty big too. So are Delawares, Australorps, Wyandottes and Buckeyes. Those are all ones that I can think of off the top of my head that are good dual-purpose birds.

So if I were you I would look more into Dual-purpose breeds, see which YOU like the looks of and such, and maybe that will help you decide. But I would procure my stock from a private breeder if I were you if I could find one. Their birds are always better then the mega-hatcheries.

Hope this helps, MW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by