Which breeds are most and least susceptible to marek's

The first bird to die of Marek's type symptoms here was a Legbar pullet that came vaccinated for Marek's. Since then almost all the Legbars and all but one Welsummer Legbar cross have died of it, but very few others, I think a couple partridge Wyandottes. I have Langshans and they were all fine these past two falls, and all the Paul Smith Ameraucanas are fine, along with the two Svarthonas.
It definitely seems to be a by the breed thing here.
Not a fan of Legbars, but I am smitten with these BBS Ameraucanas.

Our Ameraucanas just started laying this week, one almost every day. She seems very healthy.

Ok I know this is old but wanted to say something about it. I have had 2 birds die since January out of 5. My last hen I sent off to be tested and it come back positive for cutaneous Mareks but egg yolk periodontitis killed her. We have babies and immediately vaccinated all them since they were indoors and no exposure at that point. Well out of my 3 “O.G.’s” as I call them are silkies. So it just shows you never know with the horrid disease’! I hate the word now and we have invested so much time and money since the dreaded diagnosis.

2 are silkies and other 3 were Dominique mixes but the one black Australorp looking girl is still very healthy. The other two were basic Dominique style who passed.

Ok I know this is old but wanted to say something about it. I have had 2 birds die since January out of 5. My last hen I sent off to be tested and it come back positive for cutaneous Mareks but egg yolk periodontitis killed her. We have babies and immediately vaccinated all them since they were indoors and no exposure at that point. Well out of my 3 “O.G.’s” as I call them are silkies. So it just shows you never know with the horrid disease’! I hate the word now and we have invested so much time and money since the dreaded diagnosis.
Chickens can and do carry Mareks their whole lives without problems. Most become immune to it. I figured most of mine are carriers, but very seldom do I have problems from it. Vaccines can protect individuals from showing symptoms but it doesn't necessarily get rid of it.

This is old, but I need to jump in. I've got marek here. It's a chronic strain with an abrupt expiration date. They deal well with some stiffness and leg shaking, sometimes sporadic junkiness(drainage from sinuses), but good quality of life. Then one day, just drop dead with a maximum of 8 hours warning. Had a couple that presented with ocular symptoms only. I lost 2 vaccinated birds to it. Both were Faverolles and my only Faverolles. One at about 2 years and one at 5.5 years. I hatched some buff brahma chicks here that were unvaccinated, before I had any marek symptoms on property. 5 of the unvaccinated birds were confirmed marek death. The other 3, unknown cause, no necropsy,but no obvious signs of any of desease.
The most important thing I need to add, is that keeping vaccinated chicks inside and separate isn't going to cut it! They need 100% isolation. The room needs a disinfection, along with anything that goes into it....I mean anything from feeders, to the heat lamp, to you. Water: you can't just bring the jar out and refill it. Disinfect large jars, whatever you think you need for the duration of quarantine, fill those and bring them in, with clean hands. Disinfect the outside, again, when you clean the room. During the quarantine, you need to shower, put on new clothes(that haven't seen any other areas on your property, in your house, or in your car), put on gowns, surgical hair caps and booties. Be careful to not recontaminate yourself. All clothes, gowns, etc. should be left in the room and when you put them on, you need to do so from the doorway (which of course needs to be kept closed unless your walking thru it). Don't step into that room until the booties are on your feet. If you've touched anything after the shower, including the door Nov, you need to rewash your hands before touching any of the clothes, gowns ,etc. All it takes is one piece of chicken dust and whichever chick inhaled it, is infected and not protected. Dust goes everywhere and will be carried on you, and shed, everywhere you go. You can't half a $$ this, or the vaccination was pointless. The general info is 1 week of isolation, but some say two weeks. May seem like too much, but if you want your chicks protected, it's your best bet.

It does take real effort to manage isolation! Another possibility is to beg a friend or family member to brood the chicks for two weeks in their garage, totally chickenless.
Then your daily trip to care for them will be easier too.
Marek's is the pits, so sorry you've got it there.
I understand the Silkies are very susseptable, and there's something about Fayoumis, although they might be more resistant to AI, not Marek's?
Either breed would be a challenge in Maine winters?!
Mary

Hello from Kentucky. We have mereks here , I’ve lost several golden laced polish , and a golden laced wyondotte, and my beloved silver laced wyondotte Cockerel . I didn’t do a bar roost however it’s just evident at this point . We have the nerve strain and they become paralyzed . I have four ducks and 27 pullets that appear fine
There’s one that started limping then recovered ( that happens with mereks then it reoccurs and they die) so I suspect her to go down. She’s a white crested polish. But it’s always possible she hurt her foot so we will see
I have an EEgger, ten Buff orpingtons and several buff polish that hasn’t shown any symptoms whatsoever. I lost my only rooster so I need to replace him but I need a full size so that’s going to be tricky in itself and then I breed my
Own strain??? And several posts it says they had vaccinated chickens die and some not vaccinated don’t die so what’s the sense in it?

Properly vaccinated chicks who then have time away from exposure to Marek's virus will do better and live longer than unvaccinated chicks, and it's a matter of degree. Some chicks die from other issues, and without necropsies, who knows? Vaccinated chicks will still get Marek's disease when they are exposed, but the vaccine offers protection from the tumors that infected birds develop.
Nothing about this is ideal!
'Selecting for resistance' involves having breeding stock that has Marek's disease, and appears to remain healthy. Then, hatching lots of their chicks, culling sick individuals, and breeding the most apparently healthy offspring. Meanwhile, practicing biosecurity so other flocks aren't infected from yours. So, being ready to have sick and dying birds culled, and not bringing in new stock, or sending birds out.
Rant follows here! I'm offended and horrified by people who say that "Marek's disease is everywhere, and all flocks are infected"! This is a cop-out, relieving these individuals of the responsibility to manage their infected flock as harmless and open to ignoring proper infectious disease management.
Rant over!
I've been careful, and lucky, and avoided this here so far, and hope my luck continues.
If Marek's does hit my flock, I would have a closed flock, with no birds going out, and buy vaccinated chicks as replacements as needed. My breeding plans would be over.
Mary

Well I already decided I will bring in new chicks in the Spring and a new rooster that’s been vaccinated
I don’t sell my birds so none will be going out
Then maybe I will select breed , maybe not and I’m already culling sick birds as it happens , it’s not pleasant ! The process of doctoring them hand feeding them , hand dropper feeding etc until I’m sure it’s mereks , then culling
Then it happens again and again and again
But what can I do? I do not want to kill them all so I will live this way

Back
Top Bottom