Which breeds do I keep for egg layers?

Dumpling

Chirping
16 Years
Feb 27, 2008
West Tennessee
Okay, I will have to make a decision soon. I am new at this. I want to keep up to eight hens that are good layers of big eggs and good personalities. I have a flock of 23 chicks: 2 BR, 8 RIR, 7 Black Stars, 5 Red Stars and 1 SSH (Roo?). They are nearly 6 weeks old and someone wants to buy the ones I decide not to keep. I know I want to keep the BRs for sure and some RIR and Red Stars for sure. The Red Stars have been the friendliest and are always out of their coop feeding and scratching. Is there any difference in the Red Stars and Black Stars in terms of egg laying, overall health and longevity? This is so hard- I want them ALL! However, I do not have the space or need. (I have a tractor that is 4x10 with an "upstairs" coop.) Is there any difference in the breeds for my purposes? Should I keep the SSH for protection and decoration (he is beautiful)? If I ever want to raise from eggs, what can I expect from a SSH roo cross? Thanks.

The black and red stars (sexlinks) would be the best layers. The others will lay good, just not as good as the sexlinks. The roo would do his job. There are tons of different colors that could come from a SSH roo on any of the hens.

The red star will be alittle smaller (& will eat less) than the black! (both very friendly) MO

some say the sexlinks fizzle out after 2 years

RIR are noisy (in case that matters)

BR are keepers

Back
Top Bottom