Which breeds have you found do best in confinement?

SeaCity

Songster
Sep 10, 2021
Milwaukee
Merry Christmas all! I'm allowed 4 chickens and have a 4x4 coop with a 6x8 enclosed run. I have free ranged my girls in the past, but have a new puppy so may not be able to as much. Thank you!

Thank you! I live in zone 5 & didn't know if silkies could deal with the cold, also wondering how feathered feet do?
I've had both here in zone 4 with no extra heat. I prefer the bantam cochins. I still keep a flock of them. The silkies were higher maintenance sometimes, and go broody a bit too much for me. That's the only downside to bantams. Many go broody repeatedly, so having a set up to easily break them is helpful.

I've had no problems with feathered feet here. I've kept various breeds with feathered feet without issues.

There's also clean legged breeds of bantams, but sometimes they can be more flighty than cochins. I also have a few bantam Easter eggers. I love their little green eggs, but they are more reactive.

I agree with the bantam cochins.
I have two bantam black mottled cochins. They are the absolute sweetest.
They are confined to an area just a little bigger than yours, along with three other bantams. The others are a game hen (friendly but busy), a buff brahma (calm, but not friendly like my big dark brahmas) and a little sebright (who is fairly friendly but flighty)
They all seem to be enjoying the colder weather. We've had a couple of nights in the low teens.

I've had both here in zone 4 with no extra heat. I prefer the bantam cochins. I still keep a flock of them. The silkies were higher maintenance sometimes, and go broody a bit too much for me. That's the only downside to bantams. Many go broody repeatedly, so having a set up to easily break them is helpful.

I've had no problems with feathered feet here. I've kept various breeds with feathered feet without issues.

There's also clean legged breeds of bantams, but sometimes they can be more flighty than cochins. I also have a few bantam Easter eggers. I love their little green eggs, but they are more reactive.
Thank you!

I agree with the bantam cochins.
I have two bantam black mottled cochins. They are the absolute sweetest.
They are confined to an area just a little bigger than yours, along with three other bantams. The others are a game hen (friendly but busy), a buff brahma (calm, but not friendly like my big dark brahmas) and a little sebright (who is fairly friendly but flighty)
They all seem to be enjoying the colder weather. We've had a couple of nights in the low teens.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom