WHICH BREEDS LAY THE LARGEST EGGS?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Layin Eggs, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cms1113

cms1113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    i only have my seramas to compare to but my red sexlinks lay pretty big brown eggs. Then one day i got an even bigger one from them!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    White leghorns, Red Sex link, some RIRs. I've got quite the variety and those are my BIG egg layers.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Out of my current layers (EE, BR, RIR, australorp), my EE lays the biggest eggs and my australorps the smallest. The aussies are also the youngest though.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    A friend of mine has a buff Orp. and my DH bout fell when he seen her eggs [​IMG] they were huge. My friend has to tape the carton lid down when she sells her eggs cause the B.O eggs are so big the lid will not shut, they are very round too. I believe my RIR's and my white plymoth rock lay the biggest one's , I do have 7 RSL chickies under my silkie so we will see.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

If you mean pure breeds....the largest eggs I've seen were Minorcas, then probably leghorns.
    Otherwise the commercial hybrids lay the largest eggs of all ......they were developed to be that that way [​IMG]

6. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    my RIR lays a Jumbo egg every day, sometimes 2 times a day and shes about 7 months old.. I dont have any special lights in there and all that stuff, she just does it on her own.. my other hens lay normal eggs

7. hoosiergal

hoosiergal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    indiana
    My golden comets lay good-sized eggs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hambone

Hambone Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    My golden comet eggs are pretty big to.

1 person likes this.
  9. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my Buff Orpingtons consistently lays huge eggs (single yolk), almost every day...but my other Buff Orp lays a smaller egg. My Leghorn eggs are a decent size, but then I get a huge double-yolker from one of them a couple times a week. My Golden Sex-Links aren't old enough yet, so I can't compare the size.

10. chickenchik12

chickenchik12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    stumptown CA
    rir! shwam. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by