WHICH BREEDS LAY THE LARGEST EGGS?

Hello, I'm new to the group.
One of my leghorns laid an enormous egg yesterday. I brought it to work and weighed it on a calibrated scale. 99.5 grams, that coverts to 3.50 oz. It measures 2.960 by 1.90 inches. my original reason for bringing the egg to work was to start a contest with a friend to see if she could bring in a bigger one. Game on! She has 2 hens out of the same stock quite possible may top this egg.
I wonder if Guiness keeps records on chicken eggs?
Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else's really big eggs weigh and measure? What breed of hen laid it, type of feed used, Where the hen originated etc. I would find the statistics quite interesting.
Would anyone else find this information helpful?

Here's an image of my red sex links egg compared to extra large, hers are jumbo. She is a year old.

I have owned a few breeds and even been hatching my own mixed breeds. I have found out that when it comes to egg laying and egg size it is controlled by how old the bird is and how well you feed them. if you feed your birds foods with high calories and good protein with egg shells or some other form of calcium they will start to lay more eggs and bigger. I have gotten eggs that where the size of small goes eggs from chickens. the food I found that works the best is no lie fish I cook them hole and when they are done cooking I let them cool down and put them out for the birds. if you feed them a lot of fish you are going to want to feed them lettuce or grass. you can get free greens for your birds by looking behind super markets. in some states like Vermont the super markets have to compost all veggies and stuff like that. it some times dirty work but its worth it when you see your birds having fun eating all sorts of stuff like tomatoes, any kind of berries, rice, and pretty much any kind of left overs from your house. keep feeding them new foods and if they don't eat the new food right away wait a few days things like tomatoes and such they will wait till they get soft and mushy to eat them

Back
Top Bottom