Which Breeds Would Be Good for a Newbie?

Pics
Don't get a rooster unless you want your chickens to multiply... fast. You must have tons of space available for many new chickens and be ready! If you're only looking for layers, I would suggest you do not get a roo.
I have a rooster and haven't had a problem with breeding. I just collect eggs every day. Pretty simple. Chicken math, however....

I don't recommend a rooster to a new chicken owner simply because they can be difficult to train/handle. When I ended up with a fella (he was supposed to be a girl, you see), it took me a while to get the hang of his behavior. I might have been in trouble if her were a big fella (mine is about 1 1/4 lbs - lol).

I have a rooster and haven't had a problem with breeding. I just collect eggs every day. Pretty simple. Chicken math, however....

I don't recommend a rooster to a new chicken owner simply because they can be difficult to train/handle. When I ended up with a fella (he was supposed to be a girl, you see), it took me a while to get the hang of his behavior. I might have been in trouble if her were a big fella (mine is about 1 1/4 lbs - lol).
Thanks for your reply. Actually I'd never buy a rooster but because I'm incubating eggs that a neighbor gave me - at least this once - I'm suspecting that I'll get at least one rooster whether I want it or not. These are Astralorpes in the incubator. I do plan on ordering a few pullet chicks, including sagittas and amber whites.

There are a lot of suggestions for Leghorns, but that may be because most people haven't tried California Whites. They are a BR x Leghorn bred to a Leghorn. They are slightly heavier/bigger than a Leghorn and a super layer, friendly, calmer, and quirky. I love them. Hoovers carry them.

There are a lot of suggestions for Leghorns, but that may be because most people haven't tried California Whites. They are a BR x Leghorn bred to a Leghorn. They are slightly heavier/bigger than a Leghorn and a super layer, friendly, calmer, and quirky. I love them. Hoovers carry them.

I love my California White (from Welp). She's active, curious, and mischievous -- and can fly out of and back into my 48" electric net pen at will.

I wouldn't want a flock of all California Whites, but I enjoy both Chipotle's antics and her daily large, white eggs.

I’m getting my coop today :celebrate(a neighbor built it and is delivering and setting it up) and I’m anxious to decide on which chickens I should start out with. I’d be so appreciative of any and all opinions on breeds, brooders v. incubating, etc.

I raised chickens years and years ago and one of the many things I’ve learned from BYC is that I didn’t know much about it then and even less now! I used an incubator then. I don’t remember having the hens hatch their own.

I’d like to have 2 or 3 of several different breeds. I was looking at Barred Rocks, Orpingtons – does the color make any difference?, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Australorps. I also want to get a cockerel. Just one I’m assuming? Which breed would be best for that? Is it best to stick with established breeds instead of something like McMurray’s Whiting True Green?

My main reasons for wanting chickens is for the eggs and for the enjoyment of watching them.

We have hot summers here and sort of cold winters – West Central Idaho high desert. I thought that any of the breeds I listed handle heat and cold well.

I expect it’s early to order but it takes me an age to decide anything…But I wondered if ordering early would be a good idea for like maybe February? I plan on getting a heat plate they can snuggle under. Oh no! another decision on which one to get!

As I said, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. :bow
Welcome to BYC, and ive got a few breeds to suggest:
1. Plymouth Barred Rock (they're really friendly to humans)
2. ameraucanas (they lay blue eggs)!
3. Australorps (they shine in the sun)
4. Buff Orpingtons (they make good mothers if you want to breed them)
5. Brahmas (they get amazingly big, their feathers are very soft, and they have feathers on their legs)
6. last but not least, a barred rock rooster. (they are good protectors, and if you raise them from babies, they wont attack if you give them lots of love)
I had a barred rock roo named Eclipse, who was very VERY friendly towards everyone (even other roosters) and loved snuggles and foot rubs. he unfortunately got carried away by a fox/coyote. Rip Eclipse.

Anyway, good luck raising chickens!!
:jumpy:clap:highfive:

Welcome to BYC, and ive got a few breeds to suggest:
1. Plymouth Barred Rock (they're really friendly to humans)
2. ameraucanas (they lay blue eggs)!
3. Australorps (they shine in the sun)
4. Buff Orpingtons (they make good mothers if you want to breed them)
5. Brahmas (they get amazingly big, their feathers are very soft, and they have feathers on their legs)
6. last but not least, a barred rock rooster. (they are good protectors, and if you raise them from babies, they wont attack if you give them lots of love)
I had a barred rock roo named Eclipse, who was very VERY friendly towards everyone (even other roosters) and loved snuggles and foot rubs. he unfortunately got carried away by a fox/coyote. Rip Eclipse.

Anyway, good luck raising chickens!!
:jumpy:clap:highfive:
Thanks very much for your reply and your good luck wishes! So sorry about Eclipse.😞

Back
Top Bottom