Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

Pics
Start by sitting down with your feed costs, and figure out what your weekly expenses will be. Then give some though to how long you will have to carry those expenses before you start seeing productive layers. Chances are, its 5 months+.

Now factor in losses, males of dubious value (half the hatchings), and reserving some for your own use so you can continue to renew your stock (or factor in a cost to buy new stock from a hatchery).

Once that's done, and you've spread out the cost of your equipment over some number of birds, you have your break even price (absent cost of licensure, certifications, testing, etc). Just expect to take all of those on the chin the first year. Get everything else dialed in first, then factor in your ongoing business costs.

and if you can't float all those expenses for at least a year out of your entertainment and investment budgets? Keep it a hobby, and stick with what you love.

and I incubate in the back room, and have the most recent incubation in a brooder box in the back room, till 2-3 weeks. The next two oldest groups get the barn grow-out pen and its attached run, everyone older than that is in the adult run, hen houses, and pasture.

<0 Weeks - Incubator (12 eggs, less quits)
<3 Weeks - Brooder (up to 12 birds)
<9 Weeks - Grow Out (two hatchings, 12-24 birds)
>9 Weeks - Main Run & Pasture (40+ birds)
This is great information. Thank you. How long have you been selling chicks for?

Start by sitting down with your feed costs, and figure out what your weekly expenses will be. Then give some though to how long you will have to carry those expenses before you start seeing productive layers. Chances are, its 5 months+.

Now factor in losses, males of dubious value (half the hatchings), and reserving some for your own use so you can continue to renew your stock (or factor in a cost to buy new stock from a hatchery).

Once that's done, and you've spread out the cost of your equipment over some number of birds, you have your break even price (absent cost of licensure, certifications, testing, etc). Just expect to take all of those on the chin the first year. Get everything else dialed in first, then factor in your ongoing business costs.

and if you can't float all those expenses for at least a year out of your entertainment and investment budgets? Keep it a hobby, and stick with what you love.
Great insight! Thank you so much!

This is great information. Thank you. How long have you been selling chicks for?
I started my flock, for personal use, last April. I was first certified NPIP about 7 months ago, and started then. I'm also limited Egg licensed (for sale of shell eggs for human consumption) which is my primary (and much less lucrative) side business.

I have sold some birds, and some hatching eggs, but as they were mutts (and disclosed as same), their "profit" was largely in saved feed costs - I sold birds I would have culled otherwise, or whose genes didn't clearly advance my culling project. a lot of E Black and dominant White with no other, redeeming qualities. Excess roosters, we eat. Usually one a week, sometimes more. If I hatch 6 birds every three weeks, and half (on average) are males, then I can cull a male a week while maintaining a stable flock size, and take a hen as she ages out as well. If I don't take an old hen, I grow the (laying) flock, which is how I've gone from under 40 birds to roughly 70 at present over the last six months. That, and hatchings with higher success rates, of course.

Just adding my two cents! Choose a breed that you enjoy working with first and foremost, creating a market for them or seeing what’s popular in your area is secondary. I have different breeds but only breed silkies because I enjoy them and I found they were the easiest to sell straight run for a decent amount of money in my area.😊
My silkie crosses/hybrids are more difficult to sell.
I've sold more silkies then any other breed.
Can someone explain me why silkies are such a hot market? I see people selling them in my area all the time, for $20-$50 each, and they seem to sell fast. That's more money than I can get for a turkey. I have nothing against silkies but I am wondering who keeps buying them.

Can someone explain me why silkies are such a hot market? I see people selling them in my area all the time, for $20-$50 each, and they seem to sell fast. That's more money than I can get for a turkey. I have nothing against silkies but I am wondering who keeps buying them.
Just my guess ... part of it is because many people find them cute and will pay a premium for that. Also, they are often friendly .. people will pay a premium for that. Finally, because they are hard to identify their gender, the males get raised to an older age than would otherwise get culled. That adds to the cost to raise hens ... which gets passed on to the buyer ... who doesn't mind because they're cute and friendly.

People like cute, fluffy chickens. And bantams as well. I'd go with ornamental breeds because people seem to like them for the way they look.
My best sellers in my particular area are my silkies and polish. I always have a waiting list before they even go in the incubator. I also do well with sebrights but they don't lay very much so you'd need at least a good amount of hens to get your money's worth.

They're great mothers, they have lovely personalities, & Fluffy are the reasons I can think of.

Plus, they're also bred for shows, those ones sell for the highest price.

Pet quality usually go for a lower price.

Are those Shamo in your profile picture?

Back
Top Bottom