Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

Pics
They are asils. Gamefowl are popular in my area and sell for even more money than silkies, but it's hard for normal chicken people to breed and sell them.
Asils are cool too. I'm getting into Malays. Which sell for alot of money too.

Just not at breeding age yet.

I buy from a small local certified breeder who is trying to create his own auto-sexing breed using Cream Legbar (auto-sexing, blue eggs), Bielefelder (auto-sexing, large brown eggs, Wheaten & Black Copper Marans (dark chocolate eggs). He’s looking for green egg layers that are distinctively different looking. He sells a ton of the pure breeds and the crosses. Unwanted birds go in the freezer and he sells those too.

An example is Ethel. A CL and Wheaten Marans cross. Unique color with slightly feathered legs and a little Crested head. She is 20 weeks old and should lay sage green eggs. I’ll let you know.

Attachments

• B1A92C31-B62A-4887-B545-2A8E7D48EFDF.jpeg
    B1A92C31-B62A-4887-B545-2A8E7D48EFDF.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 4
People like cute, fluffy chickens. And bantams as well. I'd go with ornamental breeds because people seem to like them for the way they look.
My best sellers in my particular area are my silkies and polish. I always have a waiting list before they even go in the incubator. I also do well with sebrights but they don't lay very much so you'd need at least a good amount of hens to get your money's worth.
I have a 4-6 month waiting list for mine!🤣
Mostly because the birds need to cooperate and silkies go broody often.
Yes people can get them from a hatchery and have them sent over here as well, but they’re not near as fluffy and cute as the ones I breed.😊

Last edited:
Can someone explain me why silkies are such a hot market? I see people selling them in my area all the time, for $20-$50 each, and they seem to sell fast. That's more money than I can get for a turkey. I have nothing against silkies but I am wondering who keeps buying them.
I like them because of their feathers and their skin and brooding

I sell more hatching eggs and started chickens than I do chicks. Joining 4H and showing chickens at the county fairs is very popular in my area. Most kids want to start off showing bantams. So I offer OEGB, Dutch and American Game Bantams. They are eye appealing, easy keepers. My birds are well bred and are a good starting point. It is up to the young poultry keepers to get them to perfection. Which I think is half the fun of showing.

I apologize if this question has been asked before but couldn't find it if it has. I am looking into starting a small local hatchery in Louisville, Kentucky. I just can't stop. I love chickens so much and the love keepa growing! So my question is which breeds would be the best to breed that will sell?

I would think one that is more rare to find and not often available to make the most profit. But I also want one that would be friendly and on the cuddlier side, of course! Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! Thank you!
I raise Light Sussex chickens. They are very friendly, calm hens that will "talk" to you all day long. They are a breed that isn't exactly rare but not really common. I got my flock for free because a hen hatched out 9 chicks and the woman didn't want a bigger flock.
As long as you don't want really large eggs they are a great breed. I sold 50 chicks in 2 days at the lical Farmer's Market from my 6 hens this Spring. They also love hanging out with my Ancona Ducks.

I apologize if this question has been asked before but couldn't find it if it has. I am looking into starting a small local hatchery in Louisville, Kentucky. I just can't stop. I love chickens so much and the love keepa growing! So my question is which breeds would be the best to breed that will sell?

I would think one that is more rare to find and not often available to make the most profit. But I also want one that would be friendly and on the cuddlier side, of course! Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! Thank you!
Have you thought about what you will do with all the roo chicks born that nobody wants?

Back
Top Bottom