Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

Pics
Wow, all your alls answers are so informative! I'm swimming with information! So how do y'all go about knowing the sexes if I decided to go with a breed that isn't sex linked?

As far what I'd do with the ones that don't sell, especially the cockerels, I suppose I'll have try to give them away or... ya know, *slides finger across the neck*. Any other options?

...and THAT is what makes sex-linked birds so popular and commercially important.

Its possible to vent sex, but its a developed skill with some risk of injury to the bird, and is only 90-95% successful even with practice. I don't do it myself, and I do NOT recommend it to backyard keepers.

Selling/Rehoming and Red Queen quotable lines are your two options for the cockerels.

...and THAT is what makes sex-linked birds so popular and commercially important.

Its possible to vent sex, but its a developed skill with some risk of injury to the bird, and is only 90-95% successful even with practice. I don't do it myself, and I do NOT recommend it to backyard keepers.

Selling/Rehoming and Red Queen quotable lines are your two options for the cockerels.
So my options would be sex links or selling as straight runs? Can you learn to professionally vent? Or hire a professional venter?

Agreed. Silkies are quite defenseless creatures.😊
That depends on the variety of silkie. Show Quality silkies, are the most defenseless, to have.

One reason I like the large Fowl Silkies.
20210109_142242.jpg
20210109_142250.jpg
20210616_094734.jpg
20210616_094742.jpg

That depends on the variety of silkie. Show Quality silkies, are the most defenseless, to have.

One reason I like the large Fowl Silkies.

I just sex by the wing feather buds on day olds, upto 3 days old.

Unless they're sex linked, or sexable by color.
She's beautiful!

That does seem reliable. I also tried the ring on a string test just for giggles as I'm completely obsessed with all things chicken. And two out 8 the ring said to be males. And guess which two have the biggest feet, combs, and have wattles coming in already!!!??? Yep, the two the ring said. So funny if it is true.

She's beautiful!

That does seem reliable. I also tried the ring on a string test just for giggles as I'm completely obsessed with all things chicken. And two out 8 the ring said to be males. And guess which two have the biggest feet, combs, and have wattles coming in already!!!??? Yep, the two the ring said. So funny if it is true.
First is a rooster, the second is a hen.
Thanks, they are beautiful.

That was pure luck, that method is an old wives tale. If you want, next spring I can teach you my method of wing feather bud sexing? I use the method for sexing pretty much any breed, or mix.

I have at least a small margin of error like most sexing methods. Normally 1-3 wrong is what happens for me occasionally.

I sexed all correctly once. Out of some meat birds I hatched, there were a total of 10. There was 4 boys, & 6 girls in the bunch.

I apologize if this question has been asked before but couldn't find it if it has. I am looking into starting a small local hatchery in Louisville, Kentucky. I just can't stop. I love chickens so much and the love keepa growing! So my question is which breeds would be the best to breed that will sell?

I would think one that is more rare to find and not often available to make the most profit. But I also want one that would be friendly and on the cuddlier side, of course! Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! Thank you!
Dorkings!!! My favorite is the red Dorking but they come in many colors. There aren't enough breeders and this breed is in danger of disappearing. You could help keep the breed alive!

Back
Top Bottom