Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

Pics
First is a rooster, the second is a hen.
Thanks, they are beautiful.

That was pure luck, that method is an old wives tale. If you want, next spring I can teach you my method of wing feather bud sexing? I use the method for sexing pretty much any breed, or mix.
Aw, I didn't catch that. I wanted Silkies when they were being sold but they were straight run and didn't think I'd want a rooster at the time as it was just the beginning. TOTALLY REGRET IT.

Definitely a wise-tale, but thought it would be fun to test out. It wasn't even a real gold ring haha. AND I forgot to try it when I was pregnant...so...hah

If you would be willing to take the time to show me, I would be absolutely so appreciative. As previous stated, I AM OBSESSED. Thank you!

I have at least a small margin of error like most sexing methods. Normally 1-3 wrong is what happens for me occasionally.

I sexed all correctly once. Out of some meat birds I hatched, there were a total of 10. There was 4 boys, & 6 girls in the bunch.
Great job! I am thinking as long as state how sexing has occurred to each buyer and they are aware that sexing chicks is not 100%, it should be okay.

When I looked for my first chicks I wanted good layers..... with strong claws. My hens have always more than earned their keep, roto-tilling my garden, you see. I don't kid myself I'm saving a dime on eggs, but I do consider them a lovely bonus, and I often use those eggs as currency, to barter for things.
So I picked a Brahma, a Wyandotte, and a little Australorp. Since then, climate change set in, with a vengeance, only the Australorp proved heat resistant, so now I look for heat resistant dual purpose, relatively quiet hens...with strong legs. Sillies are adorable, but I wouldn't know what to do with one.Everyone looks for different qualities, when choosing their chicks, I think.

I raise Light Sussex chickens. They are very friendly, calm hens that will "talk" to you all day long. They are a breed that isn't exactly rare but not really common. I got my flock for free because a hen hatched out 9 chicks and the woman didn't want a bigger flock.
As long as you don't want really large eggs they are a great breed. I sold 50 chicks in 2 days at the lical Farmer's Market from my 6 hens this Spring. They also love hanging out with my Ancona Ducks.
I think I would really enjoy Speckled Sussex chickens. They are so beautiful and have read so many good things about them. And THAT IS SO AWESOME. I also have love my Sapphire Gems. They are so sweet and docile. I can pick them up and hold them and they just talk to me and don't fight.

Just my opinion but I love the Black Copper Maran. They can be expensive to start out but the quality and taste of the egg is outstanding. The hens are gentle and will talk to you. And they are a hardy breed. Many people want them in their flocks. Good luck.
This is one breed I am highly considering. I absolutely love the eggs, even though I have read they aren't all always super dark. But they are beautiful, and I have read so many wonderful things about them. While I am intrigued by this breed, I NEVER see them for sale at any feed stores or locally. I think they would be perfect to sell because maybe a lot of people want them but no one sells them? You may be on to something ;)

Maybe if you want, you can help preserve the Malays, like I'm planning on doing?
20211001_153251.jpg
My boy Goliath.

When I looked for my first chicks I wanted good layers..... with strong claws. My hens have always more than earned their keep, roto-tilling my garden, you see. I don't kid myself I'm saving a dime on eggs, but I do consider them a lovely bonus, and I often use those eggs as currency, to barter for things.
So I picked a Brahma, a Wyandotte, and a little Australorp. Since then, climate change set in, with a vengeance, only the Australorp proved heat resistant, so now I look for heat resistant dual purpose, relatively quiet hens...with strong legs. Sillies are adorable, but I wouldn't know what to do with one.Everyone looks for different qualities, when choosing their chicks, I think.
You are exactly right. I looked for a flock that was cold hardy and heat resistant first, then good layers, but ultimately I wanted hens that were docile and cuddly lol. So I will definitely consider all things that others are looking to buy! Thank you for your response!

Back
Top Bottom