Which chicken laid this egg???

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I wish people wouldn't spread false info and make someone think they blood spots all over an egg.

Blood appears as smears and or streaks moving directional along the egg, NOT spots.

Spots are just extra coloring applied, sometimes a hen will do this her entire life, sometimes less or more, sometimes it stops.

YES it can be washed off, because it is applied to the shell right before being laid. Look at the inside of the shell sometime after cracking it, not brown in color.

If you drubbed hard enough to remove the spots you should eat that egg soon as the outter coating is now gone, so it "could" spoil faster.

Yes it stained the item you used to wash the egg, it's a natural coloring that when rubbed was spread and became less intense.

Last edited:
Blood isn't hard to rub off and you can rub the color off a a Marans egg. It's something mentioned all the time. When a bird lays with speckles they can be removed because it's the color it was painted on the way out. I can do it with my Marans and with my Wellies, spots.

Obviously no one that has told you this is blood, owns a Marans. If they do they do not know the details of the breed or anything about they're egg color process. Prick your finger and wipe it across a white egg. That's what blood looks like. It smears, because it is rubbing as it's pushed out. You can absolutely tell if an egg hhas blood on it. Marans included.

You're in the best possible place to learn about your breeds, right here on this site. There's a learning section, breed section and thread dedicated to most of the popular or rare breeds. Join in or just read and you'll find all of your answers.

It's so hard to tell someone what's going on, when there are so many that think they know and jump it. Seems to be happening a lot lately. Maybe I'm just now starting to post on those, because I've noticed even before I ever signed up to this site, that people will take the wrong answer as truth, and not even give the people who are experienced a chance to give a correct answer, Then you have one more person who decides to pass the wrong information off yet again to even more people, so instead of helping they have others believing all the wrong information.

Don't believe me? Look up Americana on this site and see how many people don't even know what breed they have,because someone sold them something they thought they had.

I have 2 black copper Marans and one of them lays a solid bronze egg and the other one always lays a bronze egg with speckles, just like yours. I love the speckles (nah, that's not blood!) - who would have known they would lay such cute eggs!
smile.png

No it was. It had the smell of iron when it got wet. I didn't have to scrub hard and was first coming off with a papertowel. I work with blood on a daily basis as I am a vet tech and it was blood. It must've been her first egg and streatxhed the tissue to much to make her bleed.

Thank you everyone for your help! This forum is awesome for figuring stuff out!

I wrote my last reply before realizing there was a page 2. Oops.

I'm still pretty sure it was blood. I understand the idea of it being smeared streaks versus spots, but I swear these were blood specks. The color of the egg was a beautiful brown after it was all taken off, that matched identically to the color of some other eggs that have been laid. I have almost 2 of every hen that we own, and this one just caught up to its sibling most likely.

I will tell you what though: I think we got our first BCM egg today. It too is speckeled, but the specks are so much smaller than the posted egg. Just for comparrison sake, I took the same sponge scrubby and just tried to rub off a little area... NOTHING came off, no matter how hard I tried rubbing.

This further leads me to believe that it was blood on the pictured egg...

I hope some of you are right about the "painter" having to warm up as far as my BCM egg. The dark spots are so chocolate and hope the whole egg looks that way soon! We will have a decent number because I was lucky to get 4 of 5 chicks as hens!

Back
Top Bottom