Which chicken should I start with?

Depends on where you live. A lot of the breeds mentioned would do horribly in a hot climate like AZ. Also, if you want reliable egg production, don't get a breed that is broody all the time. BO and Silkies tend to be broody a lot.
If you want seet pets, OEGBs and Silkies are very sweet.
Might look at some tables and set down some of your wants and needs. My needs aren't the same as yours. My flighty, standoffish chickens, who do well in a hot climate may be totally unsuited for someone who wants a snuggle pet in New England. Also, why feed a heavy dual purpose breed if all you want is lots of eggs? Get something that lays lots of eggs like a production red or leghorn.

Out of the breeds you listed, I only have experience with EEs and I can't recommend them highly enough. Sweet, curious and friendly, and that means a lot to me with the amount of time, energy and money I've put into my chickens. Also, I do recommend a mixed flock to start with, it lets you get to know some of the breeds and helps you decide what's important to you in a breed for the future.

out of what you listed, all do well in confinement and normal-good for egg layers. I am not a fan of RIR's at all though. You did not mention your main goal for the chickens, and that can make a big difference. Swap the RIR's for Delawares, Speckled Sussix, or Australorps and I think you will be happy. Oh..and I would go ahead and get three of each. I have always had better luck with three over two in a mixed flock...not sure why? That only gives you 12 birds and you'll have a head start on that chicken math, LOL
I only subscribe toeastern Tennessee thread, but you can PM if you need more advice. Good Luck
smile.png

Last edited:
I started with a flock of twelve hens, three of those were Buff Orps, two easter eggers, one barred rock, four Rhode island reds and two leghorns. I loved the color mix of the flock but all three of the buffs have gone broody several times in the past year. If you don't want to have broody hens you may want to stay away from the buffs!

Edited to add: I just saw the above post and will note that not a single plymouth rock of mine has gone broody. I have heard Australorps tend to and am hoping they decide not to .... though that would be a great excuse to try hatching eggs!!!

I have done both, and it is a matter of preference. I got all barred rocks the first time and love to see seven birds of the same color pecking around my yard. This year I got two each of partridge rocks, australorps and columbian wyandottes and love the mix of personalities and colors. I also think that having some breeds that are naturally more boisterous and some that are naturally more subdued makes the pecking order easier to establish. Personally I enjoy visual order, so I like having pairs of birds that are different colors. I have thought about adding a pair of buff orps to round out my color scheme (I currently have black, white and mahogany).

If you're going to go with 8-10, I might suggest adding Black Australorps. Mine are not particularly friendly but are smart, fat and will lay lots and lots of eggs. I'll note that this year's chicks did not get individual handling on a regular basis. I found 8 to be a lot to attend to by myself. If you have more people who will socialize them with you, 8-10 is a good number. You will get a LOT of eggs and be giving away or selling a lot as a result. I found 6 to be my current maximum as I don't have to count them when free ranging and I will get plenty of eggs but not too much. My plan is to donate to the local shelters and/or low-income families when I have more than I need.

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
~I totally agree with your Rhodie comment! I have two and they are so unfriendly and aren't touchy feely. It is a huge pain when I need to get them back in their coop at night because they HATE people. It's really hard to get attatched to your chickens when you can't even hold them let alone even get a good look at them! I don't think i'll be getting them again...

As far as good luck goes, I have Gold Stars and they are so friendly. My favorite one always greets me at the coop door in the morning and talks with me. If I say something to her she always responds, so funny! She lets me hold her and she is a very very clean bird. She also lays GIANT eggs for me too
wink.png
I would suggest exchanging your Rhodies for Gold or Red Stars. I also have friends who have Buffys and Leghorns and they are so nice. They walk up to complete strangers and want to be held. I ordered some Buffys for this spring and I am so excited to get them. If you have kids, they will be an excellent bird for them to enjoy. A mixed flock is always fun to have and to see. I enjoy variety and my order for this spring has almost 7 different breeds in it! Good luck with everything and most of all have FUN! It is such an enjoyable journey. I hope to see pictures of your chickies when you recieve them!
smile.png

Quote:
I agree, it is so much easier getting them all at once. Unfortunately my RIR are flightly and don't like me very much lol. It is a fantastic hobby and yes it can be heartbreaking. When you lose your first/favorite bird, it is so hard. But, it makes you work harder and appreciate your girls so much more! I am so glad I got into chickens, they are awesome
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom