Which chickens do you believe are the LEAST and MOST flighty?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akd23237, Jun 15, 2008.

1. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    by nature?

2. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    My leghorns seem to be quite flighty and my heavier breeds (Bramhas, barred rocks) are much less so. Of course, the heavier breeds are just that: they can't fly and jump around much!

3. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    My leghorns are definately very flighty!

4. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

My Buff Orps even at ten weeks don't seem very phased by much, they don't like to be chased but don't fuss much when I quietly pick them up and hold them kindly, neither do the barred rocks that are on the farm I work at. The barred rocks even run to the fence as the tractor passes by then loudly demand food. My friends two spanish chickens just about jump out of their skin when anything walks by.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think some of the most flighty chickens I have seen are Penedecenca and Leghorns.

The least I have seen/owned are the Silkies.

-Kim

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Most of the Polish I have had have been flighty and skittish. I think b/c they can't see! [​IMG] Buff orps and cochins seem to be verrrry laid back. Silkies somewhat, too, but again that whole can't see thing can cause problems.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Leghorns and seabrights, both flighty.

Cuckoo marans, orps, wyandottes, and black sex link, not flighty.

8. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    out of the 3 chikens i have i know 1 is a RIR and i think 2 are leghorns, they dont run when i touch or pet them they let me do it for a few seconds then kinda slip away. will they ever chill out and let me touch them more? o and are RIRs flighty ?

9. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    In my flock
    the brown and white leghorns are the flightiest.they are the lightest breeds i have. When one of my white leghorns was a new egg layer she would fly on top the barn at 13 feet.and soar down to the ground and run/fly wild when you approach her.but one day i grabbed her and got freidnly with her and she doesnt do that no more.Shes calm now.

and i have a big fat Black sexlink who is just as big as my brahma roo, now she has trouble flying up to the roost board at about 6 feet.She is a big big bird.Real calm but doesnt like to be held to much.shes real slow moving lol

My rirs i would say are notflighty at all.and my buff orp is not flighty.

10. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Of the chickens that I have (wyandottes, polish, rir, light brown leghorn, barred rock, buff orpingtons, white rocks) the light brown leghorn is definitely the flightiest and the orps are the calmest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by