Which chickens do you believe are the LEAST and MOST flighty?

My leghorns seem to be quite flighty and my heavier breeds (Bramhas, barred rocks) are much less so. Of course, the heavier breeds are just that: they can't fly and jump around much!

My Buff Orps even at ten weeks don't seem very phased by much, they don't like to be chased but don't fuss much when I quietly pick them up and hold them kindly, neither do the barred rocks that are on the farm I work at. The barred rocks even run to the fence as the tractor passes by then loudly demand food. My friends two spanish chickens just about jump out of their skin when anything walks by.

I think some of the most flighty chickens I have seen are Penedecenca and Leghorns.

The least I have seen/owned are the Silkies.

-Kim

Most of the Polish I have had have been flighty and skittish. I think b/c they can't see!
gig.gif
Buff orps and cochins seem to be verrrry laid back. Silkies somewhat, too, but again that whole can't see thing can cause problems.

out of the 3 chikens i have i know 1 is a RIR and i think 2 are leghorns, they dont run when i touch or pet them they let me do it for a few seconds then kinda slip away. will they ever chill out and let me touch them more? o and are RIRs flighty ?

In my flock
the brown and white leghorns are the flightiest.they are the lightest breeds i have. When one of my white leghorns was a new egg layer she would fly on top the barn at 13 feet.and soar down to the ground and run/fly wild when you approach her.but one day i grabbed her and got freidnly with her and she doesnt do that no more.Shes calm now.

and i have a big fat Black sexlink who is just as big as my brahma roo, now she has trouble flying up to the roost board at about 6 feet.She is a big big bird.Real calm but doesnt like to be held to much.shes real slow moving lol

My rirs i would say are notflighty at all.and my buff orp is not flighty.

Of the chickens that I have (wyandottes, polish, rir, light brown leghorn, barred rock, buff orpingtons, white rocks) the light brown leghorn is definitely the flightiest and the orps are the calmest.

Back
Top Bottom