Picking the right Cockerel....

mcard

Chirping
May 11, 2023
I have not had good luck picking a good natured cockerel, I have a real scary cockerel that isn't first to the food and can be very timid, mama hen is real flighty but daddy roo is aggressive, but you would call this little cockerel a scaredy chicken, have any of you had experiences with this type cockerel, did it seem to stay that way or still when hormones kicked in they became aggressive? We don't free range so really don't need a great protector, just a good natured rooster

You're halfway there having a daddy roo. Let me explain by way of examples from my own flock.

One of my "pullets" from an order of Cream Legbars turned out to be a cockerel. I thought, great! I can use him to breed more of them, which I sort of accomplished when I got an Easter Egger /Legbar pullet and an EE cockerel from him, mistaking blue EE eggs for Legbar eggs. (I'm definitely not a breeder.) The flock didn't have a rooster at that point.

The daddy roo took the young four month-old cockerel and trained him, disciplined him, and taught him to be a very nice rooster. I didn't need to do a thing other than to leave the two mostly alone. The only way I can see this not working out in your flock is if your aggressive roo teaches the younger one to be aggressive.

It's turned out that my two are also very good companions because I don't allow constant access to the hens, only limited access to avoid stressing my hens. They do everything together, sharing a coop, dirt bathing, free ranging.

I suggest, if you have multiple cockerels, select the one that shows the least aggression, then give him over to your rooster to do the rest. But wait until he's at least four months old before you do. The timid cockerel won't challenge your rooster, and there shouldn't be any conflicts to upset everything. That's pretty much how it's been between my two for six years until this summer when my younger roo finally challenged his pop and now he's the number one. After the challenge and switchover between them, there has been no further fighting.

It is hard to tell what he will be like as an adult, but I am afraid that the combination of parents being both flighty/nervous and aggressive will not turn out to be calm, assertive and respectful of human caretakers.

You're halfway there having a daddy roo. Let me explain by way of examples from my own flock.

One of my "pullets" from an order of Cream Legbars turned out to be a cockerel. I thought, great! I can use him to breed more of them, which I sort of accomplished when I got an Easter Egger /Legbar pullet and an EE cockerel from him, mistaking blue EE eggs for Legbar eggs. (I'm definitely not a breeder.) The flock didn't have a rooster at that point.

The daddy roo took the young four month-old cockerel and trained him, disciplined him, and taught him to be a very nice rooster. I didn't need to do a thing other than to leave the two mostly alone. The only way I can see this not working out in your flock is if your aggressive roo teaches the younger one to be aggressive.

It's turned out that my two are also very good companions because I don't allow constant access to the hens, only limited access to avoid stressing my hens. They do everything together, sharing a coop, dirt bathing, free ranging.

I suggest, if you have multiple cockerels, select the one that shows the least aggression, then give him over to your rooster to do the rest. But wait until he's at least four months old before you do. The timid cockerel won't challenge your rooster, and there shouldn't be any conflicts to upset everything. That's pretty much how it's been between my two for six years until this summer when my younger roo finally challenged his pop and now he's the number one. After the challenge and switchover between them, there has been no further fighting.
I rehomed daddy roo, a few weeks ago because of his aggression, his new ower knew what he was getting, so I am starting over with a new cockerel,if not this one that's timid, another one in time. I know there are no ways of telling but I think we can learn from others experiences, and thank you for sharing yours.

It is hard to tell what he will be like as an adult, but I am afraid that the combination of parents being both flighty/nervous and aggressive will not turn out to be calm, assertive and respectful of human caretakers.

Looking at it the way you explained it makes me see it your way, hoping to learn from others experiences.

Biggest difference in temperament I've seen is human raised versus broody raised roosters. If they've imprinted on humans they're more comfortable around humans but also far more likely to become human aggressive

Anything raised by a broody will be more skittish but they'll never attack a human

Biggest difference in temperament I've seen is human raised versus broody raised roosters. If they've imprinted on humans they're more comfortable around humans but also far more likely to become human aggressive

Anything raised by a broody will be more skittish but they'll never attack a human
I was hoping that that was so, the daddy roo is aggressive but was raised by humans, was hoping that these chicks being raised by nama hen would be different, mama hen taught them I was the food giver, but I have kept my hands off of them other than what was necessary. I would rather have a flighty rooster than an aggressive one. Thank you response.

I believe he will be fine. I agree that hen-raised chicks will become the best roosters. The chick that imprints on a hen understands who he is and learns chicken etiquette from Day One. If you no longer have your senior rooster, the flock will teach him instead.

I am now having to choose a cockerel from 3 hen-raised boys 2 months old. I am choosing the one that’s lowest in the pecking order because I like him, but I believe any of them should work out due to their upbringing. We’ll see.

Be sure to update us!

I believe he will be fine. I agree that hen-raised chicks will become the best roosters. The chick that imprints on a hen understands who he is and learns chicken etiquette from Day One. If you no longer have your senior rooster, the flock will teach him instead.

I am now having to choose a cockerel from 3 hen-raised boys 2 months old. I am choosing the one that’s lowest in the pecking order because I like him, but I believe any of them should work out due to their upbringing. We’ll see.

Be sure to update us!
I would like to hear about your outcome and which one you choose, thank you for responding.

Be sure to update us!
Your answer, has helped me to make a decision, I think I will try him out and see how he does , I would rather have a flighty cockerel/rooster than an aggressive one. I to was hoping the since they were raise by broody hen they would be better chickens.

Back
Top Bottom