Which chickens do YOU think I should breed?

S
That’s a cool idea! Unfortunately we are very attached to our Polish x Leghorn roo and will be keeping him and two other roo’s, so I’m not sure about keeping an EE... perhaps in the futureI can get an Ameracauna from you!

I actually have two different coops/pensfor bantams and standard sizes, if that’s what you were wondering
sounds good. Just let me know. This is a pic of one of our ameraucana roosters that would be the dad of any roo you got for us😊

Attachments

• 939C13B1-7DF1-4CA8-A015-029FB1B85DFD.jpeg
    939C13B1-7DF1-4CA8-A015-029FB1B85DFD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
That’s a cool idea! Unfortunately we are very attached to our Polish x Leghorn roo and will be keeping him and two other roo’s, so I’m not sure about keeping an EE... perhaps in the futureI can get an Ameracauna from you!

I actually have two different coops/pensfor bantams and standard sizes, if that’s what you were wondering
With as many breeds and mixes as you have, I would recommend building at least two or three more breeding coops. Do you have room and access to some building materials?

That way you could have:

1) Sebrights together
2) Bantam Cochins together
3) Polish/Leghorn with LF hen(s) you want to mix
4) Silkie/Polish/Leghorn with LF hens of your choice. You would need to choose between the black spangled rooster or the light buff rooster.
5) Easter Eggers or Ameraucana with Easter Eggers.

You can have multiple hens with the desired rooster, but the only way to tell who the mother of the chicks is would be to do trapnesting (using an incubator) or to have hens that each lay a different color of egg (you could either let a broody hen set a clutch or put them in an incubator) in with the rooster.

It’s a lot to keep track of !

With as many breeds and mixes as you have, I would recommend building at least two or three more breeding coops. Do you have room and access to some building materials?

That way you could have:

1) Sebrights together
2) Bantam Cochins together
3) Polish/Leghorn with LF hen(s) you want to mix
4) Silkie/Polish/Leghorn with LF hens of your choice. You would need to choose between the black spangled rooster or the light buff rooster.
5) Easter Eggers or Ameraucana with Easter Eggers.

You can have multiple hens with the desired rooster, but the only way to tell who the mother of the chicks is would be to do trapnesting (using an incubator) or to have hens that each lay a different color of egg (you could either let a broody hen set a clutch or put them in an incubator) in with the rooster.

It’s a lot to keep track of !
Thank you for your input. I don’t have any more room on my property, but all our chickens are free ranged so I’m not too worried about running out of space for them. When I do breed specific roosters with specific hens, I put them in a small area (not technically a coop per-say) away from any other roo’s. I’ve been using incubators for a while and I know how to work those pretty well. Somehow, I know exactly which hen lays which egg, and I have no idea how :lol:

Back
Top Bottom