Which chickens fly more?

I have a couple of Anconas and I am amazed at how high they can get....about 12 feet I would guess. They don't fly that often but it's cool to watch when they do!
smile.png

Two Maran girls clear a 5' fence on a regular basis to get in the woods. Found one on the roost roof the other day, that's 7' high - and they've been clipped...both wings.

I have to agree and say my leghorn and red starts are escapers. We clip their wings because our run is not fully covered and they seem to find the small area that's open and hop out otherwise. We only clip one wing.

My little D'Uccle is a fabulous flier. My oldest EE comes in 2 for best flier. My brahma can not fly whatsoever. Our run has a cover, so this is not an issue. I do free range and the chickens head right to the woods in my backyard. The ones that fly will fly to the woods, the others run. My chickens don't like the open space at all.

Quote:
Maybe, I have EEs and SS Hamburgs that can but don't much. I also have leghorns and tetra tints that hop our 4' fence like it's not even there with one wing clipped way back.--all those little white pullets have been out from an early age.

My white leghorn hens can fly right over my 6 foot fence no problem, but my greatest flyers are my serama chickens, they can fly from the ground right up into the trees. They are super flyers, thats why they are now kept in runs.

Back
Top Bottom