Which chickens fly more?

My Red Star hens try but they fortunately are not very good at it. They get up on the roof of their coop (it has a slanted shed-type roof) and launch themselves off.....they can't gain any altitude though and flap all the way to the ground. If they could go up they could get over my 4 foot fence, and I'm so glad they don't, every time I think I have all the gaps stopped up I get a text message from my neighbor "you have a chicken out" and I have to go collect a wayward girl from the edge of my street.

I am wanting to add some Dominiques to my flock, are they flyers?

Light breeds. I have EEs, RIRs and a leghorn that can get over the 6ft fence but all the chubby gals/guy (br, wr, slw) are left behind.

I'd say dominiques are too heavy to be good fliers if they are like my barred rocks.

I have a brown leghorn that flys. I clipped her wing and she could still fly over a 5ft fence. Alittle wobbly but she did it. I put shade cloth on top of the run to solve that.

I found my buff minorca perched atop a 10 ft. fence yesterday, she's amazing. My heavier breeds, especially my LF cochins and wyandottes, are big fatties that have a hard time getting on their roost which is 2.5 ft up! If you are looking for non-flighty birds, go for the heavy breeds.

Back
Top Bottom