Which chicks to get...

I don't like butchering either. We cull as necessary for health problems, but I prefer my old girls to wander the property as long as they can. I have tried just about every breed and they all will end up pretty similar when handled young. Heavier breeds are more calm, and lighter breeds will often lay more eggs but can be flighty.

I order sexed chicks from the hatchery so I'm not having to deal with removing extra roosters and I have extra pens for troublemakers or mistakes, and an occasional hatch where I get extra boys.

I would start with a few all around dual purpose breeds. They don't always lay as good as production breeds but they lay longer into their lives and the seem to live longer too.

Some of my favorites are buff Orpingtons, australorps, and barred rocks. Easter eggers can give you some colored eggs for variety. Cochins are good at going broody and raising chicks, I have both bantam and standards.

I would avoid crested breeds for now like polish and silkies, and flighty breeds like polish, and leghorns. I have had some good friendly birds from flighty breeds but I find the heavier breeds to be more docile and curious, and less prone to being bullies.

I would put off dreams of hatching until you have a plan for the extra boys and can deal with doing them in, something I am still working on.

This is really a lot of great information. Thank you all so much. Here's a picture of Carmel.

Thank you Bobbi-J. I appreciate your time. I think I'm with you on that. I'd like to get to the point of eating my own. I'm just not there yet. I realize that some chickens, like Miracle, will be able to have a free ride...and others will have to be eaten. You're right, I'd rather eat healthier, and that would mean that at least I'd know how mine were raised. It's just something that I'm going to have to work on. Hopefully, by the time I get to that point, I'll be ready. I already try to buy grass fed beef, and free range chickens, when I do have to buy meat. I don't always do that, but I try to. We are definitely living in some tough times, and it would only make sense to be raising our own "livestock," if at all possible. I used to hunt, so I'm not apposed to killing to eat. I just have to come up with a way to not get too close to the ones I'm going to eat; and at the same time, take good care of them. Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense, as that's how I tend to be.
smile.png
I have just gotten to the point where I don't get too involved or allow myself to get too attached to the ones I'm going to eat. I feed them, water them, and give whatever care is necessary. I don't interact with them like I do my layers, and they don't get names. (I learned from a Hereford steer named Buford to never name my food...)

It gets a lot easier to see those cockerels as meals once they start hitting puberty and terrorizing all the girls. It's never pleasant, but it is necessary for the good of the flock. And Production Reds are a generic red bird that is bred for a high production rate. They don't really meet the breed standard for Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshire. Most hatchery sourced Rhode Island Reds would be considered Production Reds.
Amen to that!

Thank you all for the great words of wisdom. I've got a few weeks before I order, so I think I'll chew on the information, before I put my order in. I do like the idea of different breeds though. It would be easier to tell them apart. Good idea Donrae

This is really a lot of great information. Thank you all so much. Here's a picture of Carmel.
So you already have a cockbird?
Maybe I missed earlier explanation.

Hunters can have a hard time with slaughtering....a little more hands on, so to speak, than killing from a distance.
But every livestock keeper should be ready to kill/euthanize an animal that needs it.
Took me 6 months of research and thinking and gathering equipment to do my first....
...it gets easier but never 'easy'. But there's satisfaction in 'doing the right thing'...and sometimes there's soup!

You've already gotten plenty of good advice....nothing to add but Welcome to BYC and Best of cLuck!

That is something to consider, although keeping a rooster does not mean one will be hatching chicks. Collect eggs daily, don't let a broody hatch,
That's true.
smile.png

I collect eggs daily. But I have found a hen hiding a nest and sitting on it.
hmm.png

Yes, it took us a long time to decide to butcher. And we are still preparing... hopefully this week we will have success. Been raising chickens 5 years before getting to this point.... pushed over the edge by the industry! Every bird here enjoys their life and will be treated respectfully even through processing. Yes, my daughter is ready to eat EVERY cockerel we have, since they hit puberty!

I also think having many breeds is great. It is my usual recommendation. As donrae stated, it's much easier to tell them apart. Plus I like the assortment of eye candy in the yard. Gives a chance to try other breeds. Also collecting different colored eggs makes me feel like a child again! And by being able to tell the eggs apart you can tell if someone might be having issues.

I feed 3 medium sized dogs to the tune of $80/ month. But since I got burglarized once before.... And haven't lost ANY birds to predation. I think they do earn their keep. Plus the fact they are always happy to see you reduces depression and interaction with them increases my activity level without hitting the gym. Priceless!
big_smile.png
Chicken TV helps a lot in the same ways... But with 48 birds I can appreciate the sentiment of not being able to support free loaders. We will likely have a few birds that do get to stay for retirement, the special ones.
wink.png

Thank you Bobbi-J. I appreciate your time. I think I'm with you on that. I'd like to get to the point of eating my own. I'm just not there yet. I realize that some chickens, like Miracle, will be able to have a free ride...and others will have to be eaten. You're right, I'd rather eat healthier, and that would mean that at least I'd know how mine were raised. It's just something that I'm going to have to work on. Hopefully, by the time I get to that point, I'll be ready. I already try to buy grass fed beef, and free range chickens, when I do have to buy meat. I don't always do that, but I try to. We are definitely living in some tough times, and it would only make sense to be raising our own "livestock," if at all possible. I used to hunt, so I'm not apposed to killing to eat. I just have to come up with a way to not get too close to the ones I'm going to eat; and at the same time, take good care of them. Does that make sense?
I just want to mention that there is some misunderstanding about "grass fed" and "free range"....

So grass fed beef can be and is often finished on corn. Also, unless "pasture raised" can still be on a dry feed lot.
hmm.png
And "free range" can still be in a building with thousands of other birds who aren't in cages but still over crowded and have a door open to the outside for 2 hours per day whether they make it to the door or not. Usually, but not always.. Pasture Raised is good, but I am unsure if it is a regulated term yet or not.

That is for informational purposes only, not to say you are doing something wrong. It's just a shame that marketing terms on so many items can be misleading. One more example... "organic"... So is arsenic, and lead, and dog poo!
sickbyc.gif
You get my point.
wink.png

For us, once we realize certain birds are for eating, we don't name them. But we also are discussing as a family in preparation, understanding that we are heading down the right path even if it seems difficult... with the pay off being the honor of feeding our family humane raised meat. So far anything worth having we have had to work for. And yes many times there have been tears involved. I am sure this will be one of those times. Good luck "getting there". I think you can, when you are ready!
highfive.gif

Very good advice on here. Mostly start slow, get some hens, order pullet chicks, get some experience.

You did mention how attached you are to Miracle, and while I do not want to diminish you enjoyment, often times chickens are not long lived, there are exceptions, but 3 years is often an old chicken. Instead of individual birds, I have learned to enjoy the flock, the birds come and go within it. It helps me. I solve chicken problems, with the flock in mind. It is a little mind shift, but it does help. However, we all have our favorites.

Good luck, this is a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy for years, adding different aspects as you go. One does not do it all at once.

Mrs K

Welcome to BYC, Chickenparrot. Come visit us on the Maine thread. Always good to have a neighbor on BYC. From looking at his photo, I'm guessing Carmel is an EE. Perhaps you already said that. If you want to hatch out some nice sex linked chicks from him, consider getting some Dominique or Plymouth Barred rock chicks. And of course, some more EE chicks for those colorful eggs. If Carmel is carrying the blue egg gene, you'll have a colorful egg basket for years to come. My avatar roo is an EE, and he produces chicks that go on to lay blue, green, aqua, olive, tan and brown eggs depending on who the mother is.

An other consideration is how big your coop and run are. You'll need a minimum of 4 s.f. in the coop and 10 s.f. in the run per bird. Add extra to that b/c you have a roo, and will be adding chicks.

Other topics to research:

Heating pad brooding
Fermented feed
Deep litter
and check out: Henderson's chicken breeds list.

For our Maine weather, I prefer birds with small combs (pea, rose) and non feathered feet.

As others have said, if you intend to hatch eggs, you need to have an exit plan in place for the cockrels. You also need to be able to cull any sick or defective birds for the good of the flock, as well as for the good of the individual bird. I can understand your soft heart. As a hunter, I'm sure that you know what would happen to our deer population if the weaker members were never culled out of the herd. Animal husbandry with a flock of chickens is similar.

I appreciate all the help. I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do, after taking your counsel in mind. I'm really loving my time on BYC. Thanks to all, once again. Good night, and God bless!

Back
Top Bottom