Which cookbook could you absolutely not live without?

All of these sound fabulous! I will have to go to amazon and eBay and see what I can find over the next few months.
smile.png

Not a book, persay, but I LOVE recipezaar, allrecipes, and especially Supercook.com

At Supercook, you can enter the ingredients you have on hand (garlic, onion, chicken, cheddar, etc) and it will pull recipes that contain those ingredients. The recipes come from other recipe sites. I have made many yummy meals when I didn't have a clue what to cook for supper that way (saving trips to the store!). If you look at the rating/reviews for a recipe you get a good idea of how it really turns out, KWIM? Since finding those sites I don't use my paper books as often.
smile.png

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything is my go to cookbook, and I have tons of cookbooks. He has reliable simple recipes, with a lot of bang for the buck because after each recipe, there is a list of simple variations you can make to drastically change the dish.

And, there are different 'levels' of recipes too. For example, there are 4 waffle recipes, all the way from an elaborate mix you prepare the night before to a quick one you whip up just before breakfast.

http://www.howtocookeverything.tv/

I also like Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for the Food and I'm Just Here for More Food, but they're really more like funny textbooks on the science of cooking, with few actual recipes. They do make you understand how cooking works though, so you can make wise choices.

And as far as Celebrity Chef cookbooks, I like Jamie Oliver the best. His latest cookbook Jamie's Kitchen has great recipes for fresh foods (he keeps chickens!!), and you can watch him cook the recipes in the book on his Food Network show on Fridays. He has a new book coming out very soon that I'm sure I'll pick up. I just adore him. You can see free recipes from him here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes

I have so many cookbooks, it's insane! And I cook from them rarely, but I read them cover to cover and kind of integrate it all into how I cook. I lean towards authors who tend toward fresh, simple foods without many processed ingredients.

Edited to add links!

Last edited:
Quote:
Isn't that the truth!!!

I still call my Mum.. and now My daughters call me!!!
Nuts ... I guess I really am getting old!
I Do Not Feel it Though!

The Bread bible, by Rosenbaum. Super great book will have you making your family&friends jealous in no time.

AL

Southern Living, (1980 is one of my favs) but I have SOOOOOOO many others that I really LOVE as well. I like Jr. League cookbooks too. When I travel I like to buy those because they have dishes from that area.

One of my best cook books is Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. Sally bills it as 'the cookbook that challenges politically correct nutrition and the diet dictorats.'

The book harks back to the old style of cooking where the nutrition stayed in the food. There's even a chapter on organ meats. I love this book. A lot of the recipes have a French flair to them and the author is big on using sauces with her creations. She even put up a good argument for the consumption of butter and other animal fats as healthful in moderation. I like this woman!!

Back
Top Bottom