1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which cross are these?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jay262, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    When i bought these orginally they were supposed to be mallard x indian runner crosses but the older they get they look more like blue swedish to me atleast 3 of them does the fourth brown and white one looks like a runner. What do you guys think?Im ok with whatever they are i really like them very quiet birds and hopefully will lay well once they start there around 5 months old now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The blue and white in the front right, looks like it could be a runner X. The 2 in the back do look like swedish. The brown, hmmm [​IMG] Maybe a runner something but I would not say mallard at all. Cute.

Actually looking at the one in the back on the right looks like a runner head but hard to tell.

3. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Well as far as i know there all crossed birds. But they look more to me like a runner x blue swedish cross rather then a mallard like i was orginally told. Which still works for me i dont mind that at all just looking for others opnions. I will try to get another pic but the black one in the back is more errect like the blue one in the front of him while the other 2 sit kinda low and horizatial.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They sure are cute. [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The front two I would guess are both runner crosses due to the colour patterns. A friend of mine does have run a mixed flock and has some the colour of the rear two as well though- but all 4 are very solid- but could be runner crosses. With so much colour genetic diversity in runners it really is amazing the colours you can get from offspring. Did the previous owner have a variety of breeds?

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Ancona thrown in the mix on those front 2.
    The back 2 look Swedish X Runner to me, too.

Very pretty. Such fun.

7. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    After talking to the previous owner he doesnt seem to know forsure what they are he said forsure the father was a runner drake but the mother who he tought was mallard could have been a number of crosses before that.

8. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    the two in back are a blue and black swedish the front two look like a rouen x fawn and white runner and a splash swedish x fawn and white runner

9. devin0

devin0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    I am the previous owner. Somebody locally gave me the "mallard" ducks (they are colored like mallards, so I'm not sure). There are/was also a white runner x _ duck, a white runner x _, and a blue runner x _.

I could try and post pictures tomorrow to help out in this mystery. Also, I have no knowledge of Swedish genes being in the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by