Which dog breed?

Labs and retrievers are good dogs, but they will go after poultry. I like sourland's idea of a standard poodle with close grooming, so its fur will be less vulnerable to picking up burrs.

This isn't necessarily true. Yes they are bird dogs and without exercise and training they will go after poultry but that is not a given. They have to be trained. And they have to be sufficiently exercised so they are calmed down. But with training they can be fine and Goldens in particular are very sweet, gentle dogs and usually excellent with other animals, even little babies. Labs might be a little bit more work, especially the American varieties, but it can be done. In fact, I've heard of several that are hunting dogs and can go out and hunt ducks, quail, pheasant, whatever, but then they come home and they get along fine with the ducks and/or chickens because they have been trained to know the difference and taught not to go after them. It might be a little bit harder to train them but retrievers (and other hunting dogs) are very intelligent and love to please they're people so they can be trained to leave them alone. It does get easier with maturity around 2 or 3.

This is very interesting. The cell service in rural areas could be an issue, especially in the mountains of WV
I totally get that. We are fairly rural and service is spotty in places. I still like having Whistle even if there are times that it has a hard time locating her around our place. The battery typically is lasting me about 4-5 days. The other thing is, I've seen (on FB)a lot of dogs lost while traveling with their owners, ran off at a rest area or whatever. Since she goes almost everywhere with me, this is something that just makes me feel better to have even though my girl is chipped and registered too. It's just another option that is available. This is better than Tile or other Bluetooth gadgets because you don't have to be near the dog to use it. (I was able to see where my daughter's dog was when they were traveling across country, which was cool. She had set me up for her dog on the app, too.)

My friend's son's pup had run off when he was startled by a loud noise and ended up being picked up by someone and later dropped off over 80 miles from home - if they had had a Whistle, they MAY have gotten a line on him sooner. They searched every day for him. They ended up getting him back 12 days later, thanks to him being turned into a shelter and the chip being read.

Are poodles affectionate? They seem like great dogs and not "froo froo" like most people think but I also really want an affectionate dog that loves/cares about me and/or is in tune to my moods and such and have been considering a Golden or Aussie. It's not a 100% necessity would be nice.

This isn't necessarily true. Yes they are bird dogs and without exercise and training they will go after poultry but that is not a given. They have to be trained. And they have to be sufficiently exercised so they are calmed down. But with training they can be fine and Goldens in particular are very sweet, gentle dogs and usually excellent with other animals, even little babies. Labs might be a little bit more work, especially the American varieties, but it can be done. In fact, I've heard of several that are hunting dogs and can go out and hunt ducks, quail, pheasant, whatever, but then they come home and they get along fine with the ducks and/or chickens because they have been trained to know the difference and taught not to go after them. It might be a little bit harder to train them but retrievers (and other hunting dogs) are very intelligent and love to please they're people so they can be trained to leave them alone. It does get easier with maturity around 2 or 3.
I'm sure it's possible, but it would take a lot of training and monitoring, and the lab/retriever would never be comfortable with it, except maybe in old age. My neighbor had two very well trained goldens, and then got chickens, which he proceeded to free range. Disastrous. Even after he confined the chickens, the dogs would sit and stare at them whenever they could, and whine. Years ago I had a golden, and experienced pretty much the same thing. I just think it's not worth the misery when there are so many other great breeds of dogs that do just fine with chickens.

My Chesapeakes and German Shorthair were raised here, and never had problems with the chickens. We had training sessions with them when they were young, and they didn't ever bother or chase any chickens! They all were trained in obedience, hunted with my hubby, and did hunt tests with me.
Mary

Are poodles affectionate? They seem like great dogs and not "froo froo" like most people think but I also really want an affectionate dog that loves/cares about me and/or is in tune to my moods and such and have been considering a Golden or Aussie. It's not a 100% necessity would be nice.
Mine is very sweet.. loves everyone! Will follow you anywhere.. you can just talk to them and it’s like they understand human speech.. can be excitable... and are very in tune to your mood! When I’m grumpy.. she stays away:p
I am gonna see if she will be good for bringing to nursing homes for visit therapy of sorts.. I just need to find where to train her for that.. I feel she would be great.. wherever we go she gets so much attention... and she LOVES it! I just need to know that she will sit still for the elderly. I might be getting my daughter (who will be 15 in January) a toy poodle and have that one trained as well and that way my daughter can also bring her dog and I will bring mine.

"Farm dog' covers a lot of territory! Herding? Guarding? Big enough to be safe, or you love tiny and will keep her safe?
There's not one right answer here, it's who you want to look at, train, and live with.
Must have fencing!
Raising a puppy takes more time, but may be easier to manage issues with the chickens, for example. An untrained yahoo of any breed will be miserable!
Generally retrievers and working or herding breeds are easier to train than terriers or hounds. Small dogs are in danger from coyotes, at least, and eagles. Bears and cougars will take any dog out!
If you want a grooming project, great, otherwise look for short hair.
The right shelter dog will be wonderful, and you will be saving a life. Breeders vary hugely in every category, so choose carefully and do your breed research FIRST!
I don't think there's one perfect choice for everyone, or for anyone.
Mary

It is funny you should say this. I was looking locally at breeders and there is one that breeds her standard poodle with her border collie. The pictures are adorable, but I’d love to see some grown ones. The smaller size would appeal, but I’m not sure about the level of energy.[/QU
My favorite is the Weimaraner. They are loyal, loving, and beautiful dogs. They have an extremely short coat that requires almost no grooming. Each hair looks like little eyelashes. They barely shed at all which is great. They are known to be a bit wild, but only if you get them from an unreliable breeder. They are EXTREMELY smart dogs, easy to train, and they are people pleasers. They want to make their owners happy. They do have a few downsides though. They have to have someone who is clearly dominant over them, or they will become leader and do whatever they want. Also, if you don’t have a good blood line, they are wild. My boy, blue, is the sweetest, most gentle dog you would ever know. He loves to cuddle, but he also loves to play. He is the perfect dog for us. We actually go him back when we lived in Texas, so if you are interested, I can recommend a great breeder. (We will only ever get Weimaraners from this breeder)
View attachment 1610007
This isn’t a great picture because I was holding a treat so he had “wild eyes” :gigI can get a better one later.
So blue is fully grown at about 80 lbs. they look a lot like labs, but they have sleeker coats, shorter hair, different temperaments, and they have bigger ears. They are super expressive, and good models, so you see them many times on dog food bags, and some people dress them up as people :)

I love this breed! Let me know if you have any questions about them or want any pictures or recommendations about them or another breed. (I also have Great Pyrenees, but I’m not sure how well they would tolerate the heat)

ETA: here’s a better picture I just took when I asked him if he wanted to go potty:p
View attachment 1610012
View attachment 1610013

I don't wish to offend anyone here who may be a dog breeder, but there are sooooo many animals in pounds, shelters, and foster care throughout the country that I, personally, wouldn't want someone breeding more puppies to sell, no matter the good intentions. (I used to breed "Easter bunnies"......) There has got to be a foster family or group that has what you are looking for. For example, have you tried looking for poodle or ?_____? rescue agencies? Many agencies, like some local shelters or the ASPCA, have foster families throughout the country who are more than willing to go that extra step for a good forever home.
Our dog was a confused foxhound/heeler cross: she would round up the chickens and then chase (scatter) them! I taught her that my rabbits, guinea pigs, and chickens were part of my pack and she defended them against everything from mice and squirrels to cats, dogs, raccoons, crows, and skunks (several times :sick). She would "herd" an escaped rabbit or chicken until I could catch it and was the best mouser I've ever seen! Yes, she was a "pound puppy," probably someone's cute Christmas puppy :rant :he that got to be too much to handle. I'm not sure how I'm going to find another dog smart enough to know the difference between crows and chickens or between mice, squirrels, and guineau pigs or between cats, raccoons, and rabbits. :hit We lost her to cancer Christmas 2016 and not a day goes by that I don't think of her.
Ahem...my point is, don't sell your "pound puppies" (even pits) short. I would never, ever have chosen Bebe (a hound/heeler cross--in a small house with small animals??), but she chose us and we never looked back. Good luck with your search!

Back
Top Bottom