1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which duck breeds are the most active?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Henrik Petersson, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    My muscovies are starting to bore me, to be honest. They mostly lie around chilling.

Are there more active duck breeds out there? I read a description of runner ducks as "clownish", is that true?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They are, but mine will spend a good bit of the day hanging out under the shrubs or laying by their pond.

3. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Have you seen the video of the runner duck chasing the dog around a bush? Yes, they are entertaining. They can't be performing allll the time though. [​IMG]

4. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mallards, Indian Runners, and Khaki Campbells are all very active ducks that love to run and fly around. Runners do certainly act silly at times! [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Runners and Buffs are my clowns here they are very active. I love them to pieces..

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a very mixed flock....I have a Welsh Drake, Buff Hen, Saxony Hen and 3 Calls.......All up to something steady.......They are entertaining me all Day......Silly Ducks.........Busy Bees......

Cheers!

7. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    My Welsh Harlequins are very active and funny to watch. Give mine a paddling pool full of water, and they will be splashing around for HOURS....

8. Henrik Petersson

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Thank you!

Now, are there any of aforementioned breeds that do fine without a lot of water? Finer than others, I mean? We have an artificially-made pond, but it's kind of small (a good thing about the muscovies is that they almost never bathe).

9. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    ALL mallard based (Non-muscovy) ducks will poop up your pond pretty quickly. I have a mixed flock (15) and they turn a 7500 liter swimming pool into [​IMG] in 3-4 days. The amount they swim is dependent on the duck more than the breed. If you want your pond nice, I suggest you fence it off from them then either keep them out or you regulate when they are allowed to swim. A duck NEEDs water it can submerge its entire head in so it can clean its nares and eyes (buckets work nicely), but it will take advantage of any water it can find (and will dig holes if that water is in dirt). So any duck can live a happy life without much access to "swimming" water, but they like swimming more [​IMG] They are also very happy being sprayed by a garden hose in warmer weather.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. Henrik Petersson

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Naah, we want them to use our pond, it's just that it's so small that it's borderline animal cruelty to house animals that NEED to stay in water a lot to be happy. The pond is circular and maybe 5 feet across. But okay, if they're happy with that, it's all good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by