Which end is which??

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I'm not new to hatching but recently the girls have been laying very round eggs and when I set them in the 'bator this morning, I couldn't tell which end was which! I tried to candle but couldn't see anything; was hoping to tell which end the aircell was at. I set them in the racks the best I could, but I'm thinking I'll candle in a few days and see if I can tell then and flip them if necessary? Thoughts?
idunno.gif

don't you hate that? I had a batch of duck eggs that were like that. That one was a real unsuccessful hatch for me & I think really some where just not fertile & the others had gotten shook up in transit but upon their arrival as I opened them I had such a hard time telling with some of them which end was up so to speak & it truly was a gamble.

My OEG hen's eggs are so round, they are shaped like a baseball!! I usually lay her eggs on their sides and hand turn for 5 days or so, until the air cell gets bigger. I don't know what effect it would have on the eggs if they were set upside down, and would rather not find out!
lol.png

I have a set in the incubator right now that consists of round eggs and eggs that are pointy at both ends! I started them on their sides, and after 1st candeling I could see the air sac too. The last hatch from the same hens was great- we'll have to see what happens this time.
roll.png

Thanks all! How soon do you think I can candle and tell? I don't usually like to candle the eggs and only candle before I move them to the hatcher. Sometimes at 10 days but they're usually always fertile so there's not much need.

If they are white eggs (or you have a good candler) you can probably see the air cell from 3-5 days. Darker eggs would be a bit harder, but by day 10 at the latest you should be able to tell.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom