Which feed is better?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cutechick53, Nov 10, 2014.

1. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    So I am making my chicken plans and I don't know which feed to use. Does it really matter which brand I use? And when I start out with chicks, should I use medicated or non-medicated feed?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Personally, I don't really think there's a big difference between the various brands of feeds nutritionally. With layer feeds, I do look for one that offers at least 16% protein. I've only tried Dumor and Purina, and my chickens will eat either. I do think the Purina smells better, but it's also about $6 more expensive a bag in my area.

I've always used the medicated chick feed. However, f your chicks have been vaccinated for cocci already, NON-medicated feed should be used. Some don't like to used medicated feed because they want everything to be "natural." So it's really personal choice...

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're better off with Manna-Pro Organic chick starter than Dumor/Purina which has been on the FDA recall list, regularly, for aflatoxins and inadequate nutrient levels: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm393549.htm

Medicated feeds will not protect your birds from coccidiosis, but preventative Amprolium levels dosed in water every 3 weeks will. A good poultry vitamin electrolyte should also be kept for use a couple times a week.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by