Which goose for me?

I bought a pair of American Lavenders from Holderreads in June, in hopes they would be less aggressive b/c of having my grandson around.

These two are very timid . . . they don't run and hide (like I've heard from some American owners) but they stand far back and scream like little girls if anything comes running toward them. They are definitely less aggressive than my Toulouse were.

The fewer geese you have, the less "pack mentality" aggression you get. And they ALL will have a big chip on their shoulder during breeding season, even without goslings.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...i think i'll probably go with (it will most likely change
smile.png
)
1. Dewlap African (maybe dewlap toulouse)
2. Sebastropol

Okay so I guess the question now is dewlap african or toulouse??

My dewlap toulouse are very sweet natured. Never ever have they even hinted at aggression. And their chatter is so neat.

Hummm, they do make very good path blockers when they get right in front of you begging for a treat.
lol.png

I recently purchased 2 sebastopols approx., 6 mths old and she is super sweet eating treats from my hand but is also nibbling and biting my hand while looking arnd for their treat. I've been told to stop and not let her do that cux by the time it comes to breeding. Also, how do you poswer or sprauythem for bugs? I had to do that this spring and I truly don't want to do it againright now. And why isn't she whte like he is?
If someone has a pattern for a diaper pm me! thanks

You purchased 2 Sebastopol's and I see one is grey. You ended up with a white and a grey.
I have had Sebastopol's now for 6-7 years and I have never treated them for any type of bugs. Are you providing them with a clean fresh pool everyday to bath in? Geese need pools to bath in all the time. This keeps them clean and bug free. Also you provided fresh clean drinking water daily as well.
I change the water's here daily and the pools I dump out daily and put fresh clean water in. They jump right in to the clean water and play in it and just have a blast cleaning themselves!

Hope this helps you some.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have the same question. I'd like to have a couple of friendly geese, as pets. What do y'all think of weeder geese? I really want to stay away from aggressive types, I have grandchildren and I don't want anyone hurt. The children know not to chase the animals, but the animals don't know not to chase the children. Any suggestions?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have the same question. I'd like to have a couple of friendly geese, as pets. What do y'all think of weeder geese? I really want to stay away from aggressive types, I have grandchildren and I don't want anyone hurt. The children know not to chase the animals, but the animals don't know not to chase the children. Any suggestions?
Maybe this will help you decide which breed is best for you. I know with young grandchildren I had to be very careful with my Embden gander he can be a biter, but now that he is older and they are too I noticed a change in him, much more relaxed around them since they aren't so jumpy. He has been here for going on 7 yrs so he knows who belongs here and who doesn't. I think it's all in how both kids and geese are treated and trained too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/618185/raising-geese-101

Last edited:
Crickett, what do you mean by weeder geese? They´re not actually a breed, it´s just what they used to be used for. Chinese can be weeder geese......
I have pilgrim/cotton patch type (seem to be a bit of both) geese and they´re absolutely fantastically quiet and calm and easy to manage, totally non-aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom