Which goose for me?

1lpoock

Spruce Creek Waterfowl
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
I am planning on getting two different breeds of geese from holderreads in the spring. I really want sebastropols, but they are just too expensive....I want one thats friendly and likes attention. I want to try and stay away from the more aggressive breeds. I will be keeping each breed in 4'x12' pen, but during the day they each get a 12'x24' run...is this big enough for a trio? Whats your favorite breed?

If you really really really (etc) want sebbies, save up for them! I'm TRYING (very hard!) not to get any more geese until I can get sebastopols from Holderread's but it's evil trying to save up for them.
lol.png

Hard not to run out there and buy all the geese for sale, because I love them so much.
big_smile.png

I would have to say Dewlap Africans, my browns are such sweethearts.

I originally ordered 2 pairs from Metzer this spring together with a pair of pilgrims and some embdens. Sadly 2 of the browns died during shipping but the pair that did survive are the sweetest birds in my flock, noisy yes, but they come right up to me, eat out of my hand, let me pet them and don't mind being picked up at all. They follow me like Shadows and if I don't pay attention to them they will pull on my sleeves or my pant legs to make they presents knowns.

The Pilgrims are very laid back but want absolutly nothing to do with me and make a run for it if I move too fast......... and they were raised the same way at the same time as the africans, even the embdens are tamer and those I didn't even handle half as much cause they are destined for a frozen end(I don't want to get attached or anything).

I acctually ended up ordering another trio of dewlap africans from metzer, sadly by the time they were 2 weeks old I had a grizzly bear taking apart all my enclosures killing my birds and had to move ALL of my geese to a friends house for about 4-5 weeks absolutly halting my attempts of bonding and taming them down. The Younger trio still turned out quite tame, tamer then the Pilgrims by a long shot.
Not as cuddly as my first pair, but they will greet me loudly, eat out of my hand and will let me pet them when they are in reach.

I LOVE my Africans!!!

Last edited:
I love my Dewlap Africans. I have ten of them. They are big sweeties and follow me around like dogs. Lately it's gotten to be almost difficult to leave the pasture. They follow me to the gate and call after me when I leave them to go to work. When I get home and call them, they come charging up from wherever they are, chattering and excited to see me. They are certainly noisy, but super friendly.

I've always wanted Buffs too. I hear they are very friendly.

Last edited:
I absolutely love, love, love my tufted buffs! They are sweethearts, not noisy for geese, we live in town, eat out of my hand, talk to me when I leave. I love them!!!

Any goose will be nice to you or aggressive depending all on how you raise them
smile.png
I have a pair of embdens who love attention and follow us around the yard. They were raised alongside 6 khaki campbells, so never considered us as their true mom and dad, but keeping in mind, they are very nice to us. We originally wanted pilgrims, but by the time our order got to be filled there were none left so we "got stuck with" the embdens. I heard they were nasty, but I think it does depend on how they're raised.

Back
Top Bottom