Which Hatchery do you recommend?

I had a good experience with McMurray--ordered 25 chicks, got 27 healthy, vigorous chicks in a day and a half. They're only 11-weeks-old, so I can't attest to their egg-laying ability yet, but they're super sweet, hand fed, very docile chicks so far (straight-run).
I'm buying with them because they vaccinate for Marek's and Cocci for a whopping total of 38 cents/bird. Very important to me, so I'll order from them again.
Best of luck! In terms of a big hatchery that has the "nicest" looking birds, I've been pushed towards Cackle Hatchery.

I've ordered 2 batches of chicks from Meyer's and all of the chicks were very healthy. As a chicken newbie I also contacted them multiple times with questions and they were extremely helpful and accomodating.

I too ordered chicks from Meyer. Got them last Wednesday. All 6 were healthy and happy. Called meyer with questions, and service was outstanding! Would order from Meyer again. And Meyer lets you order smaller quantities during certain times of the year and use a heater packet instead of cockerels for warmth, so no unwanted roosters to figure out what to do with.

awesome thread I've looked at hatchery options and find it nice idea but really not into mail order stuff I like to handle product before purchase, but the convenience is tempting and also might be my only options for particular breeds from what I have seen available locally, anyways thanks so much for sharing your experience all and starting this thread :) interested totally in hearing about the process and experience of those ppl experienced in using hatchery and mail order chickies :)

Curious to follow this thread. I've never owned chickens before but just ordered from Murray Mcmurray. I will definitely be ordering again eventually for ducks (hoping to hatch my own chicks from here out!) and I want to hear reviews!

I did some research regarding hatcheries and am aware that it's a business...and I definitely don't love every aspect of it. However for myself, it was important that I was able to obtain specific breeds to assure their safety in my cold climate, their egg laying abilities, and ability to be friendly with my children. All of those things paired with the fact that I wanted chicks when they weren't available locally outweighed the parts of large hatchery business I don't love. Some day I hope to hatch my own chicks...but a hatchery was great for me as a newbie.

Personally I would shop around for local chicken keepers. You can even put an ad up on CL, saying you're looking for chicks. Sometimes you can find what you're looking for within driving distance. That way you're not only helping stimulate your local economy, you don't have to hassle with shipping, minimum orders ect.

Personally I would shop around for local chicken keepers. You can even put an ad up on CL, saying you're looking for chicks. Sometimes you can find what you're looking for within driving distance. That way you're not only helping stimulate your local economy, you don't have to hassle with shipping, minimum orders ect.

You can also bring home a lot more diseases. ...........

You can also bring home a lot more diseases. ...........

That's why you quarantine any and all animals you bring home. And treat if you can, cull if you can't treat. You can get illness from hatcheries too. There was a very recent salmonella outbreak that stemmed from Mt. Healthy, causing thousands of flocks to contract the disease.

Back
Top Bottom