Which hatchery has been sending out Salmonella infected chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chknbrdr, Jun 1, 2011.

1. chknbrdr

chknbrdr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Columbus, IN
    This morning on AgDay, there was a report about a mailorder hatchery that has been sending out chicks that are contaminated with Salmonella. Just wondered if anyone knows who it is, so we can all avoid it. The CDC has not publicly identified the hatchery yet.

Matt

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I wasn't aware of this situation, so I did a Google search and found this: http://www.webmd.com/news/20090122/baby-chicks-crawling-with-salmonella (an older article though, but it does list the home states of some of the hatcheries); however, I'd consider any chick a potential source of salmonella, along with many other animals. As long as you wash your hands well after handling any animal, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Kinda ironic that their name is
    "Mt. HEALTHY" aint it

6. Sandy River chicks

Sandy River chicks New Egg

May 28, 2011
    We got 75 birds of different breeds from Mt Healthy That were hatched May 25th we have had 0 mortality no sick birds ever and here in Maine in May
    we still had 45 degree nights and 75 degree days.. The one surprise, I got the only rooster a Golden Comet that is red and white..!! the Babcock leghorns are very intelligent and not shy..
    All 3 of us are very happy and we have never had such healthy birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by