Which hatchery to use? Any of them still send a "free" chick for warmth?

chickenguysmom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Madison County, Alabama
It has been a couple of years since we ordered from the online hatcheries and I can't remember where I've gotten them from. It was either Meyer's, McMurray or Ideal. We had no problems with whoever it was so I would use them again and they were very good chickens. Does anyone have a preference? We are in southern Tennessee and are looking to get 10 meat birds and about 15 chickens (bantam and standard). Also, seems like a couple years ago they always threw in a "rare breed" for warmth and it usually was an extra rooster. Do you know if anyone still does that? I like the idea of FREE and we finally live somewhere where we can keep the extra rooster. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I ordered from McMurray last September and am very pleased with them. I only lost one of the 18 mixed breeds that I ordered, and that was probably a failure to thrive issue. Shipping was pretty much next day to Virginia. They do have the option of including a free exotic breed chick. My order was a mix, so my only guess is that the SLW roo is that chick. All are healthy and happy. I would order from them again. I am not looking for anything fancy, just healthy birds who will provide us with breakfast!

It has been a couple of years since we ordered from the online hatcheries and I can't remember where I've gotten them from. It was either Meyer's, McMurray or Ideal. We had no problems with whoever it was so I would use them again and they were very good chickens. Does anyone have a preference? We are in southern Tennessee and are looking to get 10 meat birds and about 15 chickens (bantam and standard). Also, seems like a couple years ago they always threw in a "rare breed" for warmth and it usually was an extra rooster. Do you know if anyone still does that? I like the idea of FREE and we finally live somewhere where we can keep the extra rooster. Thanks for any help you can provide.

It depends on how many chicks you order and what time of year.

I am guessing if you order 25 chicks there will be no need to add extra chicks for warmth.

Last spring we ordered from Murray McMurray and were very happy with the chicks we received (6 buffs, 6 black stars, 3 Easter Eggers). The free exotic chick that came with our order was a white crested black polish chick, which died after a month. I think it died because we had moved our chicks into an outside coop and the food was on a ledge a foot above the ground. We thought perhaps the polish chick couldn't hop up that far or just couldn't see it.

Ideal sometimes puts in packing peanuts. McMurray and Meyer will add a free rare chick or in Meyers case a "meal maker" . Mount Healthy will give you 25 free roos when you order 50 certain chicks. I ordered from McMurray and Meyer and will get a free chick from both.

I really wish I could remember. The chicks we got were great stock. We never had a problem and all were healthy. I have been leaning towards Meyers because they have all the breeds I want plus olive egger and Ameraucana, plus bantams. But I think McMurray could be good as well. One of our local feed stores uses Ideal, but we have never purchased from them. I wonder what Tractor Supply uses?

I really wish I could remember. The chicks we got were great stock. We never had a problem and all were healthy. I have been leaning towards Meyers because they have all the breeds I want plus olive egger and Ameraucana, plus bantams. But I think McMurray could be good as well. One of our local feed stores uses Ideal, but we have never purchased from them. I wonder what Tractor Supply uses?
THey use different hatcheries. usually the closest one. I know many in Ky incl the ones in Louisville and Elizabethtown use Mount Healthy, while the TSC in Warren Ohio used Meyer. Our local Orschelns uses Mount Healthy as well

I have only used McMurray and I have never been anything but pleased with them. Great chicks and customer service!!

I found my e-mails from last time (2009) and it looks like we used McMurray. So, looks like I'll use them again. Darn, because Meyers had chick sold as "olive eggers" that I wanted to try. :(

Back
Top Bottom