1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Which incubator to buy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer_Dan, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I've gotten myself crazy into this....

I just ordered another 30 chicks from welp hatchery....

I'd like to hatch some, but I can't seem to rely so easily on the few broodies I have.

I'd like to buy an incubator that's relatively cheap, but reliable and can hold 20 to 30 eggs maybe, any recommendations?

Also, I"m sure this has been asked before so if there's a link to a post that I just have not found, feel free to point me at it.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The Genesis 1588 is a good one....it holds about 40 eggs. I've got several of them that I've used a lot.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep I love my Genesis. I loathe Little Giant.

4. lisamarie

lisamarie In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    anyone like the hovabator? this is the one my feed store sells. we have a little giant and have used it once. had a 4 out of 11 egg hatch rate. i found it very difficult regulating the temp. a few mornings i woke up to temps off the charts.

thanks,
    lisa

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Once I started doing dry hatches, I LOVED my Genesis 1588 Hovabator with auto turner.

I also purchased a Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance Ex.... it comes with the humidity pump and the only thing I dislike about it is the turner really turns too hard. But I've had decent hatches.

Come November, I'll be hatching all of my own eggs so it should get even better.

6. defenestra

defenestra In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    My Little Giant incubator provides somewhat unreliable heating and the temperature is difficult to adjust.

How easy is it to adjust the humidity in the Genesis 1588? Can you add a dish of water without interfering with the egg turning mechanism?

Mahonri- does the turner turn hard enough to damage the eggs? I am concerned because I hatch quail eggs and they are more fragile than chicken eggs.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:They come with foam bumper guards but I had some smaller eggs that got knocked around...but, most still hatched.

8. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chirping

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    We LOVE our HOVABATOR!!

We HATE or LITTLE GIANT!!
    We are actually getting rid of the Little Giant for another Hovabator!
    Go with a Hovabator!!

Good Luck! Hope you find what your looking for.

9. lisamarie

lisamarie In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    so is the genesis a hovabator?? same thing? our feed store only stocks the 1602, 1582, 2362 and 1583. any of these good?

thanks a million!
    lisa

10. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Add me to the list of fans of the Hovabator Genesis 1588 + the turner. I have two, and find them very reliable and easy to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: