Which incubator to buy?

Coop de Grille

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2010
South Carolina
I'm ready to take the plunge into hatching my own chicks. I would like a recommendation for a decent incubator in the lower price range. I don't need anything fancy (until I really get bit by the hatching bug) but I would like something that will hold the temp and not fall apart after one hatch.

I attempted to make my own out of a cooler and it's pretty ghetto looking. I'm having a hard time maintaining the temperature. I'd like to hatch them, not cook them, which is what I think I will happen with the one I made.

I have two Little Giants for incubating. One has the turner and the air circulating fan. I use this one for the first 18 days ad then they go into the other Little Giant for lock down. This one is a still air and has no turner or fan and is used only for lock down and hatching. The only reason I'm using two is cause I got one cheap for $5 at a yard sale. The little giants are known for temperature spikes. I have lucked out as both of mine are very steady with the temperature. F.I.Y. Get a good one no matter what brand. Cause you'll be addicted after your first egg hatches.

I went to eggcartons.com and bought their "Fall Harvest" which is a little giant with a different name I think. The price was fantastic with a turner, fan, and very nice hygrometer for about $109. This is my third incubator. I have 40 eggs in it right now and the temp is rock steady. I also have a Brower Top hatch that is holding well that runs about $199. I have an LG still air that I use as a hatcher and it is holding steady as well. I have no complaints about any of these.

I like the Fall Harvest one! Where do you put eggs for lockdown? I thought they stayed in the incubator until hatched, and then transferred to a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom