1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which incubator to buy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Coop de Grille, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I'm ready to take the plunge into hatching my own chicks. I would like a recommendation for a decent incubator in the lower price range. I don't need anything fancy (until I really get bit by the hatching bug) but I would like something that will hold the temp and not fall apart after one hatch.

I attempted to make my own out of a cooler and it's pretty ghetto looking. I'm having a hard time maintaining the temperature. I'd like to hatch them, not cook them, which is what I think I will happen with the one I made.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What is your price range? Do you want a turner with it? That is about $50. extra.

3. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    I have two Little Giants for incubating. One has the turner and the air circulating fan. I use this one for the first 18 days ad then they go into the other Little Giant for lock down. This one is a still air and has no turner or fan and is used only for lock down and hatching. The only reason I'm using two is cause I got one cheap for $5 at a yard sale. The little giants are known for temperature spikes. I have lucked out as both of mine are very steady with the temperature. F.I.Y. Get a good one no matter what brand. Cause you'll be addicted after your first egg hatches.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

5. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I went to eggcartons.com and bought their "Fall Harvest" which is a little giant with a different name I think. The price was fantastic with a turner, fan, and very nice hygrometer for about $109. This is my third incubator. I have 40 eggs in it right now and the temp is rock steady. I also have a Brower Top hatch that is holding well that runs about $199. I have an LG still air that I use as a hatcher and it is holding steady as well. I have no complaints about any of these.

6. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I like the Fall Harvest one! Where do you put eggs for lockdown? I thought they stayed in the incubator until hatched, and then transferred to a brooder.

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

go with the hovabator 1588...they have anew model for 2012 and it is awesome...can't go wrong with it...the best....

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    You could check Craigslist. You could make one. I am about to start making a cabinet incubator. I am going to retire my fridge incubator.

9. bakingintherain

bakingintherain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Rochester, VT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by