Which is better for beginners - Chicks or Pullets?

backyardfarmer83

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
As a newbie, you'll have to excuse me if I seem like I don't know what I'm talking about because I probably don't.
idunno.gif

So within the past few years, I've really wanted to start homesteading. I have a big enough yard (front and back) that I think I can manage most of what I want to do right where I live. The first thing I want to start with is chickens.
D.gif
I've done numerous amounts of research so I think I know a lot, but have not been able to put it into action yet because my city's ordinances JUST got changed last year.
ya.gif
My question is how I should start. I know that on the amount of yard I have I'd only be able to keep about 4-6 hens. In my research I've found that it may be better for me to start off with pullets because it's less work (and a bit cheaper) than raising chicks and they will start laying sooner. Is this true, or was I just reading someone's personal opinion?

Thanks bunches for any help I can get on this topic.

I think you will love your girls regardless. You are obviously well researched and know the pros and cons. The only thing I would consider is if you have kids, they might enjoy having chicks.

I started out with older chickens... then got younger ones.... Now I have 5 chicks gonna pick up more on wednesday, 5 Pekin duck eggs roasting away with the lone goose egg.... LOL darn chicken math

It all really depends on what you want to do.
If you get pullets, depending on where you live, they may be cheaper. I know around here if you do not care what breed they are then you can pick up something such as golden comets for $10 a pullet and sometimes less. You will get eggs sooner out of them and not have to worry with what kind of chick starter to use and have to make a brooder to keep them in. You will not have to buy smaller feeder and waterers for them either.
If you go to get chicks, unless you get them from a place that guarantees them to be sexed as pullets then you run the risk of having a bunch of cockerels running around that you have to get rid of. I am guessing since your in the city there is a no rooster law. Chicks are fun to watch but do seem to take forever to grow up. I feel like a bunch of my silkies have been here forever but really they are only about 3 months old and done nothing but cost me money so far. They will pay for themselves in the long run, but it will take another 4-5 months for that to start happening. It is gratifying though when you get a day old chick and it finally grows up enough and you go out and find the first egg! You know it was you that made that possible.

We have six week old chicks and I really debated on this question. We went with chicks so they could get used to our two and four year old and think it was normal. I think it was really good for me to also get used to handling them - I would have had a hard time starting with a full grown chicken. The set up was simple, a dog crate with a heat lamp and we switch out newspaper liner every day. We just moved them to their outdoor coop (with a heat lamp at night).

My girls started laying at 7 months and were small eggs. I got 5 older girls with a coop we got from craigs list. The imediate eggs were nice to have while the babies were still growing. Getting them older ensures that they are infact galls and not roo's. They will not be as "attached" to you or kids because you weren't there to get them used to you at the beginning.

There are pros and cons to both sides of this and everyone has their own oppinion as to what they have experienced. It is up to you which way works out best for you.
duc.gif

Well, you'll definitely get eggs quicker. That's an obvious fact, not a personal opinion. LOL! The extra cost of buying pullets over chicks is probably not extra at all once you also take into account the cost of a brooder, heat lamp, chick crumbs, grower pellets etc. Depending on your chick set up, pullets might actually be cheaper in the long run.

If you're only going to be able to keep 6 hens then you'd be spending money on equipment for chicks that you're only really going to be planning to use once. I think if I were you I'd go for pullets. If you buy 6 pullets, you'll get 6 pullets. If you buy 6 chicks, even sexed chicks, there's a chance you'll get a roo or two. Or a sickly one that dies. etc etc.

P.S. Some of my tamest birds are ones I got as adults and some of my least friendly birds are chicks I raised myself from day 1 and handled every single day for months. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference...

We just picked up 3 baby chicks. 2 are two weeks and the other is a week old. We got our hens young because we wanted them to be tame as possible around us. I absolutely love them! I can't wait for their eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom