Which is the best bedding to use for my baby chicks??

I love sand in the coop, but found it was too heavy in the brooder, for me to carry and dump. I used Swheat Scoop cat litter last year, and am using it again this year, it's really absorbent and I can scoop it just like a litter box. Plus it's super light so I can carry the box out myself and dump it when it needs to be cleaned.

I too wondered about the chicks eating the litter and if it would be ok? I would imagine they would eat it because they eat everything like that, but maybe it is ok to eat. And is there a smell like a deodorizer of some sort? I think it would work wonderfully, just curious about those 2 things. Thanks. Kim

First batch we used Paper Towels. That gets expensive. After 2-3 days switched to sand. Second batch of Chicks got sand from day 1.

I won't ever use anything else. :)

(Just regular play sand from Lowe's.)

May I ask how often you change out ALL of it? I'm thinking the bags would be an expensive way to do it but not if you don't change it out much. Do you just add sand as needed? And how long have you been using sand? I think sand just looks WAY better myself but am still in the deciding mode. I appreciate any ideas. :)

I have mine just on pine shavings from tsc. no paper on the shavings and there doing fine. I have a friend that using the sand method and he likes it. No need to worry about the cost of sand. I would think maybe 2 bags would be sufficient to last 4-6 weeks or less of brooder time!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom