Which is the best bedding to use for my baby chicks??

Construction sand is better to use even on coop flooring, what about nesting boxes? How old should the chicks be before putting construction sand in with them? Besides, construction sand, what other kinds of bedding to use for baby chicks

Honestly something I've found works awesome for fresh chick bedding are XL puppy pads. I use just the pads for the first couple days until I'm sure all chicks are eating/drinking well and it being a white background helps me monitor their poop for the first couple days to make sure everything looks good. Clean up is also a breeze since you just roll the mats up and shove into bags. Since they're so absorbent I've found they also keep moisture and smell down when I move the chocks onto pine shavings. I put down the pads first and then cover with 2-4" of pine shavings. To keep the food and water cleaner I place them on raised surfaces in the brooder after one shavings are added.

My first batch of babies hatched yesterday/day before. I’ve got them on kitchen roll at the moment but trying to decide what next. Is hemp bedding safe for young chicks?
I’ve read about the problems with dust. How much of a problem is that with sand. If you use sand would you change completely or just spot clean? If so how often?
Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

I am wondering about the dust in builders/construction sand? Or doesn't that matter? Made the mistake of using it in my children's sandbox when they were little and all the bottoms on their pants were tan from it and wouldn't come out. Doesn't seem like the dust/dirt would be good to use.

Back
Top Bottom