Which is the rooster?

Maybe I'll try and incubate some and see how they turn out?

If a chick hatches, that is really good proof that the eggs were fertile!

But the birds in your photos all look like hens to me.

One way to check: every bird that lays eggs is a hen.

If you have ever gotten as many eggs as you have chickens, all on the same day, then they are all females.

Or you could pick each one up and check her vent to see if she is laying. A rooster will have a vent that's rather small and puckered looking. So will a pullet or hen that is not laying. But one that is laying will have a larger vent, that looks sort of moist and stretchy (like an egg could fit through it.) If you see one of each kind, the differences are pretty obvious.

If all the vents are equally large and stretchy, then all of your birds are laying, which means they are all female.

If a chick hatches, that is really good proof that the eggs were fertile!

But the birds in your photos all look like hens to me.

One way to check: every bird that lays eggs is a hen.

If you have ever gotten as many eggs as you have chickens, all on the same day, then they are all females.

Or you could pick each one up and check her vent to see if she is laying. A rooster will have a vent that's rather small and puckered looking. So will a pullet or hen that is not laying. But one that is laying will have a larger vent, that looks sort of moist and stretchy (like an egg could fit through it.) If you see one of each kind, the differences are pretty obvious.

If all the vents are equally large and stretchy, then all of your birds are laying, which means they are all female.
I'll try in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom