which kind of roosters should i have? beginning flock soon

Quote:
Yes, they're all quality breeds.

Agreed. When you are selecting which eggs to hatch, try to choose eggs from the individual hens that lay the most eggs. It is a genetic trait.

I don't know if this will help you any or not. I know you said you did not have a lot of extra time, but you might play with this site to see what the offspring of specific roosters and hens will look like. If you are using purebred chickens, the first generation is pretty well set in what you will get, but if you go one generation further, you will see the amazing variety you might get. PM me if you have questions on how to use it. You will also see that if you get a barred rock rooster, you will probably not be able to tell which chicks are from the barred rock hens. This can be addictive so I may not be your favorite person if you spend too much time on this.

Cross Calculator
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Quote:
i am not really looking for anything, just thought the tinting (of anything, blue/green, etc) would just be an extra
smile.png
Thanks for all your info. i print of my pages so i can have references
smile.png
thanks again.

"Tinted eggs" usually refers to a light brown color, as with Australorps. I've had them, they have a gorgeous sheen to their feathers and tend to go broody. Ours were good layers as well. Only drawback for me is their single comb, as they easily get frostbite. If you want green/blue/olive you need to consider Araucana, Ameraucana or EEs...

Our Orpington was a great mom, though I found the soft feathers a drawback too - she lost a lot of feathers to the roo...

I think you could go with either of the roos, though single combs are subject to frostbites if you live in a cold climate.

frow.gif
I have heard from people on BYC that silkies are very good mothers. Apparently they go broody all the time. And they are great looking birds.

Quote:
i have heard that too and want to eventually get one or two just for that reason....eventually
smile.png
i just don't like the looks of them but i am thinking my kids will.

You could get a standard cochin hen or two. Mine haven't gone broody, but lots of other people say they are great broodies. I know my bantam cochins are the best moms. They (standard cochins) fit in really well in a mixed laying flock and if you don't prefer silkies, the cochins might be your best bet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom