which kind of roosters should i have? beginning flock soon

momofthree

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Skiatook, OK
i have researched and researched and i know that nothing will educate a person more than being "on the job"
smile.png
in a couple of months, we will start acquiring our flock. I mainly want eggs for personal use and to sell, so i am going for the more productive breeds. But, i also like pretty
smile.png
and i would like a couple of hens to be broody, so i can "grow my own chicks" without incubating, i have three kids, full time job, a husband, etc. so i don't have time to incubate eggs.

here is my list of hens i would like to have and i will also give you a list of the roosters i have found that are not only pretty ( we really really really want pretty roos), but for the most part are good natured, though i know those aren't always reliable
smile.png
i would like the eggs that i am able to hatch for those chicks to eventually be good layers also....ok, my lists:

hens:
Barred Rocks - def. only for egg production
Rhode Island Reds - def. only for egg production
Black Australorp - good moms and heard they produce tinted eggs??
Orpingons - to go broody and mother the chicks (i heard they do a decent job of it)
Welsummers - for the gorgeous dark brown eggs and that i heard they can go broody every once in a while, are good moms, have good disposition.

For the roos, the ones i like the looks of all of these are:
Welsummers
Salmon Favorelles
Rhode Island Red (i know lots of these are sometimes NOT friendly, but i am willing to try it and see)

other roos i am considering are:
Barred Rock - to possibly keep some pure BR hens being born into my flock
Gold Laced Wyandotte - don't remember why this is on my list, but apparently i put this on there, LOL.

So, i am almost 100 percent sure i am going to have approximately 2 of each breed of hens above, with possibly double that of the BR and RIR.

to help increase my flock and those chicks to continue to grow into good layers, which of the above roos would you all recommend?

Thanks!!!

In my opinion, you are not going to go far wrong with whatever you choose. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

If you are going with hatchery chicks, I would definitely go with the Orpington hens. There is no guarantee that they will go broody but they seem the most likely of the ones you have on your list. Of course, any of them could go broody, but some breeds are more likely than others. If you are going to get your chickens from breeders, you might talk to them about how broody their specific line is. Some breeders might actually cull to encourage broody hens, not the opposite.

With the Australorps, I'm not sure what tint you are looking for. I cannot tell my Australorp eggs from my others. (Mine are all from Cackle, by the way) Again, breeders may be able to give you more of what you want in egg color than a hatchery.

If you are looking for broody hens, I'd consider increasing the number of Orpingtons and maybe not doubling up on the RIR or BR. It would improve your odds of getting a broody hen. I have been very pleased with the egg laying of my Orps. I'm not saying anything bad about the RIR or BR, just talking about improved odds of getting a broody plus I think you would be happy with the Orps egg laying abilities.

I'll just mention that I have also been very pleased with my Delaware pullets, both appearance and egg laying. And if you want a pretty rooster, you might consider a Speckled Sussex. Here is mine. The speckling will not show up in the next generation, but it could in following generations.

22249_rooster.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old Orphington Roo that I would not trade for the world. He is great with the girls, tolerant, to a point, of other roos, has never flogged us, and out of him, and White Leghorn and a RIR, the only rooster I never thought about killing.

With the Australorps, I'm not sure what tint you are looking for. I cannot tell my Australorp eggs from my others. (Mine are all from Cackle, by the way) Again, breeders may be able to give you more of what you want in egg color than a hatchery.

i am not really looking for anything, just thought the tinting (of anything, blue/green, etc) would just be an extra
smile.png
Thanks for all your info. i print of my pages so i can have references
smile.png
thanks again.​

Do go on the Delaware thread and take a look - they are so pretty and have such great personalities! Plus they are a great dual purpose bird. Orpingtons are great, also - and come in some beautiful colors.

will the possible resulting chicks from any or most of the roos with my hens of choice still produce a pretty decent 4-5 egg per week hen?

Australorps lay a brown egg.

As for picking roosters - go with a friendly breed...if at first yours isn't friendly, ditch him - find a good one on Craigslist later!

I bought buff orpingtons through a hatchery (Estes, in MO). They lay an egg every day, rarely miss a day. They also go broody ... one of my eight went broody at 6 months old. Very friendly, as well.

As far as roosters go ... I couldn't get rid of my RIR roo quick enough! He was rough on the pullets, and even tore a 2 inch cut into the neck of one. I did, however have 1 RIR roo that was ok. I think that was because he was last in pecking order. My favorite roo has been my Cuckoo Marans. I have read stories of others having sweet, gentle Cuckoo Marans roos also. I think they are generally sweet in nature.

Good luck on your flock!

Back
Top Bottom