Which lav x black split roo should I keep??

I wouldn't worry to much about the comb color, if one is red and the other dark, you will get chicks with both colors as well as an in between colors and you will have to select for that. this goes as well for ear lobe color to..

As for the toes thats a tough one for me, i know its hard to add them, but I'm sure if one bird has the extra toes and one don't,id think you could get anything in between as well and one with.

Im not totally sure on the toe's..

it sounds like your gonna have a very fun project there..Even though your gonna have lots of culls it will be lots and lots of fun
Charlie

Last edited:
Toes are easy to correct; comb colour is HARD. Go with the dark combed boy if you can't get an actual lavender/self-blue of a different small breed for your project.

The pullet looks like something to work with
smile.png

According to Japanese silkie site, The Original silkie were found in China & Japan used to have 5, 6, sometimes 7 toes. And Extra toes were more common silkies back of the time. And now Japanese & Chinese think Extra toes silkies are more special.(not in the U.S.A, though) Which means you still can get 5 toes from extra toes silkie. And you still have a chance to get extra toes silkies from 5 toes silkies too. If you dont want to have extra toes silkie you have to get rid of them & keep 5 toes silkies for the project. I have one-6 toes silkie too. But, they said red comb colored silkies are hard to correct so, you want to avoid them if you can just like as sonoran Silkies said. But, you should keep the one have good personality & the one which you really like I guess. thanks Noriko.

Say "Hi" to #3 beautiful silkie for me. I just like him! OK. I got a sick.....so, I'll go to bed.....
yippiechickie.gif

Also don't for get the hens could carry the red as well and it is not showing. you will know when you breed the birds together, which ever you choose...

noriko..wow seven toes..now thats what i call a big foot chicken..that must be cool looking...hows your chickies doing for ya?

charlie

Keep either #1 or #2, not #3. It's next to impossible to breed out the gold gene once it's in a line and as good as he looks besides that, it wouldn't be worth it.

Julie, very well said... i couldn't agree more..especally if you want good lavender birds anytime soon....
wink.png
Even mister nasty would work, just got to deal with him for the time being if using him.

I know i have one here and hinkjc will not enter his pen
rant.gif
I deal with him..I like to grab him off the roost and hold him, he hates it, but there's nothing he can do about it..lol

Lester was kind of nasty for awhile but is becoming an angel and we
love.gif
him now..

Charlie

I didnt read this thread closely enough, but do you know for a fact that all 3 will produce lavender chicks? Dont you actually have to see a lavender chick to know that a black parent carries the lavender gene?

No, if these are f1 offspring from a black x lav cross, all f1 birds will be het for lav. If bred with another f1 bird, the results would be 25% black (no lav gene), 50% black het lav, and 25% lav. In the black f2 offspring, you would have to breed back to a lav or het lav bird and get lav offspring to be sure it had the gene, otherwise you can't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom