Which lav x black split roo should I keep??

silkieluver_07

Songster
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have three lav x black silkie/rosecomb roos. I am trying to breed for a miniature silkie, (smaller than a bantam size). *May have a possiblity of another color being the dad though* Which one would be best to keep for my breeding project?

First Boy Has mulberry comb, extra two toes on one side and one toe on other foot. Hardly any feathering on feet. White earlobes. (Mean personality....I have a bloody nose from him attacking me.)
100_4494.jpg

100_4496.jpg

100_4497.jpg

100_4498.jpg

Second Boy Has red comb, no extra toes on feet. Hardly any foot feathering. Whitish/red earlobes.
100_4499.jpg

100_4500.jpg

Third Boy Has mulberry comb, extra two toes on both feet. Best foot feathering out of the three. Has gold color leaking through on his hackles...does this mean he isn't a lav x split cross?
100_4502.jpg

100_4503.jpg

I would keep number 3, if for no other reason than he looks more like a silkie, than a rosecomb..I have a black/lav split with gold, and he still throws Lav..

Id pic one of two with out the red in the neck, are you trying to continue with the lavender color?? what color hens are you gonna use, black as well?? IT would probably be #2 for me as well

Charlie

Last edited:
I'll also go with No.3. You dont wanna keep mean personality one. No.2 looks great too, but, red comb. No.3 has mulberry comb & feather feet. love the gold color around his neck! He's just gorgeous! Noriko.

Quote:
That's good to know that he can possibly throw lavenders. I had another silkie roo in the pen at the time, a partridge. He snuck in while I was feeding so he might be the father.

Quote:
Charlie,

I'm trying to continue the lavender color. I was thinking of keeping #3 for my miniature lavender silkie project, but maybe I should keep #2 more that I think about it because he has all the traits for a rosecomb except for the comb. Hmmm, maybe I should work on a lavender rosecomb...

I'm using their two sisters that are lav x black splits. They are rosecomb/silkie crosses. Here's a pic of the oe pullet:
100_4501.jpg

Yes he could through lavender, however i wouldn't use him just for the fact he has red hackles.
What can happen if any of his offspring would get the red passed on, the lav gene will turn that area of the bird a creamish or straw color in his chicks, so it would be tough to get a nice clean lav bird on his off spring that would get the red passed to them..

Of course you want to breed him to a hen carrying the lav gene and see if you get any lavenders from the cross and if you do, grow them out a bit to see how the lav feathers in on them

if you don't get lav chicks then he does not carry the gene. So don't sell your self short by getting rid of the other two boys just in case you need one of them if he don't got what you want.

Hope this helps some
Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. So would number 2 be a better second choice? How hard is it to breed out the red comb and add on the extra toes?

Does the pullet look good to you? She should be carrying the lavender gene also.

Back
Top Bottom