Which Layer Pellets Should I use

Sonnygs

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 19, 2015
I have a simple questions that I know has multiple opinions. Got my first eggs yesterday from my pullets so it is that time to change to layer. So Purina, Nutrena, Dumar, or FRM or does it really matter? I was even told to just use Flock Raiser, that it did well and gave good hard shells. Does anyone know which is the most complete so that I will not have to add oyster shell? Maybe that is the answer.
Thank you for any opinion and appreciate any help. The girls look great and I have quite a mixture in 34 pullets.

I like Flock raiser with a dish of oyster shell available. I've never fed layer, and never will. With a mixed flock, it's the easiest way to go. Besides that, the protein in layer pellets is usually minimal, even if layers is all you have. Others do it differently, so you should get advice for different options to consider.

If you don't want to feed a side of oyster shell ... then "all-flock" type feed is not what you want ... as it is too low in calcium.

The layer specific feeds have about 4% calcium in them, which is average what a layer needs ... but some need more than others, so you may still need to have oyster shell on the side.

If I were you find the FRESHEST feed that you can ...

I have a simple questions that I know has multiple opinions. Got my first eggs yesterday from my pullets so it is that time to change to layer. So Purina, Nutrena, Dumar, or FRM or does it really matter? I was even told to just use Flock Raiser, that it did well and gave good hard shells.
I like a feed with Prebiotics and Probiotics, so I prefer Purina Premium feed or Nutrina Naturewise, both have them in the Layers feed.
Buy Whichever is fresher or available when you're at the store.
It's still a good idea to offer Oyster Shells separately, especially if you like to offer treats.
Purina Flock Raiser has the same amount of Calcium as Purina Start & Grow. So not enough Calcium for Laying Chickens. GC

I use 15 eggration chicken feed pellets and my chickens are very healthy and they love them and that's all I give them but when the store doesn't have them I just give them laying pellets they are healthy and you should use that but you can use what you want.:D

I use purina layena (it says oyster strong on the front) and I don’t give extra oyster shell. The shells are so hard you really have to wack them to crack them. I’ve dropped them (in coop and kitchen) and my six year stood on one accidentally in the coop and not a crack in sight. *not every egg dropped in kitchen survived* lol

I don't think the make of the feed makes much difference. What's important is what the feed contains.
If you offer calcium on the side then a feed with between 16% and 18% protein and 1% calcium should be fine.
If you don't have rooster, cockerels or non laying pullets, then you could increase the calcium content of the feed to around 3% and do away with the calcium on the side.
There should on every bag of feed be a nutritional analysis. This is much more important than the makers label.

Ill keep it very simple any product listed as "Layer" feed will have all the calcium the laying hens will need. Anything that isn't listed as Layer feed you will likely need to add crushed oyster shell. After that you have to see what's in your price range. As @GC-Raptor said go with the freshest product available.

Back
Top Bottom