Which leg band size for teen and adult birds?

purslanegarden

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2016
I know that some pigeons are usually banded when they are just a few days old, as well as adults may be banded or their bands may be changed.

But I don't know which sizes to get for the birds at these different ages.

Any tips on what sizes I should have in stock and where to get them?

I only have a few birds, currently less than 10, but I am getting to the point where I want to be keeping track of the generations of the birds or which kids belong with which parents, etc. I started with a pair of pigeons and a female, but apparently the male has been active with both females! I was surprised to see that she hatched up a fertile egg.

The only way to get a regular band like a ring on a bird is to slip it onto the foot of the squab past the toes before they grow too big. The band will be big on the leg but they grow into it quick.
You can band adult birds with snap on bands. 8 mm is a general size for most breeds like homers as far as I know. They have smaller ones for smaller breeds and bigger ones for bigger breeds.

Thanks, that brings up some question that I never knew the answer to. It seems like it would be possible to use the wrong size then, so that as a baby, maybe the band size was OK, but as an adult, it is too small, and may restrict or even deform the growth of the leg. Is that right?

Thanks, that brings up some question that I never knew the answer to. It seems like it would be possible to use the wrong size then, so that as a baby, maybe the band size was OK, but as an adult, it is too small, and may restrict or even deform the growth of the leg. Is that right?
I think for the most part, 8 MM bands will fit most pigeons. Some pigeons with feathered feet use larger like 10, or even bigger. I don't see need for smaller bands than 8mm , unless they are for doves, and not regular/common pigeons.
You already have grown pigeons. Anything older than 10 days is past the possibility of using a solid ring. You can use snapon rings, that are removable. Get 8mm size. They come in assortments of colors and numbering on them. You would keep track of your birds, keeping written record of what #/color is which bird.
Some are just colors.
s-l500.jpg

Some are numbered as well.
s-l1600.jpg

These are available on Ebay, from many different sellers.

Oh and I do have one dove who hates the leg band and spends the days picking at it with her beak until it comes off.....I've tried 3 times, so now I know who she is as she's the only one without a band.....like shirts vs. skins

Hah, here's perhaps a dumb question, how do they track these bands to you? (The pigeon I found months ago thats now a pet only had a piece of purple yarn tied to his leg)

So I now have 7 pigeons hopefully a couple more babies coming, how do I go about getting them all tied to me somehow. . . .

Thanx for the help-

Back
Top Bottom