which material to enclose a run?

langton

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
I've read that you are not supposed to use chicken wire to enclose a run (and I've read horror stories about raccoons reaching through it). My question is, can you use hardware cloth (which is more expensive than chicken wire) for the bottom half, but chicken wire for the upper portion and top? Or is chicken wire a no-no for all parts of the enclosed run? Thanks - L.

No chicken wire PERIOD. What about 2x2 or 2x4 welded wire which is a cheaper than the hardware cloth for large areas. You can over lap it with chicken wire at the bottom about a foot and half to keep raccoon from reaching in.

If your chickens are in the coop at night and arent in the run at night how high do you think the odds are of raccoon a with sunglasses pulling one thru the wire are going to be?

Also you can enclose it with chicken wire for cheap then put a hardware cloth apron around the bottom

Last edited:
All of my runs are made up of 2"X4" welded wire
with the 1"(hole size) X 24"(highth) chicken wire.
Have never lost a chicken using that.

I used chainlink fence (used) then put chicken wire along the bottom of it. I'm sure you can find used chainlink pretty cheap even a dog kennel would work, too.

I know that everyone is saying no chicken wire, however we decided to use it. 1) the coop is in my privacy fenced backyard, in the city. and 2) I'll make sure they are locked up in the coop at night.

I hope I'm not one to come crying that I lost my flock this summer....and if I do it will be my own fault. But we were weighing cost vs risk. And right now, cost wins out. My three year old is probably the biggest threat to the girls...or the wild bunnies that live in my backyard.
big_smile.png

Maybe in the future if I come across more wire, or on sale etc I can recover it. But for now, I'm stickin to chicken wire
smile.png

*oh and we had the plastic covered green chicken wire*

we have 6 foot chain link and then starting at waist high chicken wire down to the ground and 2 feet under in a L shaped doubled. it would be pretty hard for a reach threw. and then if something wore at the layered chicken wire long enough the chain link would stop them.

Plain chicken wire is not secure enough for all predators.
Ours are double layer wire fence and chicken wire on the outside perimeter of runs. Along with shade cloth, 53%. So at night the shade cloth makes the area darker from the outside and adds another layer of "chew thru protection". As well there is hot wire at 9 inches out side and another on the inner perimeter.
The coops are inside these 2 perimeters and locked at night.

Raccoons and any other animal will hunt any time food is available. they are not afraid of the daylight, it just usually makes hunting easier if they do it in the dark. I had the same question a few days ago. I am going with the hardware cloth. otherwise you are betting that no predator ever tries to get into the run. not likely. I also live in town and had a raccoon try to break through my screen door. It made it half way through before me and two of my dogs changed it's mind about just how hungry he was. he did not go through the screen, he actually pulled the frame of the door out enough to squeeze through. very strong critters.

Back
Top Bottom