Which of the smallest Bantam breeds are good broodys?

Quirky Quail

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2018
I need a very small bantam hen for a broody project but I'm not sure what breed to pick.
A Pekin might be OK but could be too clumsy. Are Seramas good at sitting tight? Or Japanese, sablepoot, seabright, booted, rose-combed, Dutch, Belgian etc. Any insight will be of great help :)

Pekins, or here in America bantam cochins are great broodies. Most bantams are. The smaller ones can't cover very many eggs. Silkies are notorious for being great broodies and mothers. Otherwise being a good mom is an individual thing with hens no matter their size. Some are great and some haven't a clue what to do when the eggs hatch and they will attack the chicks.

Pekins, or here in America bantam cochins are great broodies. Most bantams are. The smaller ones can't cover very many eggs. Silkies are notorious for being great broodies and mothers. Otherwise being a good mom is an individual thing with hens no matter their size. Some are great and some haven't a clue what to do when the eggs hatch and they will attack the chicks.
Awesome :) I've always wanted a Silkie so I might give that a go. Thanks for the advice!

Also, what bantam eggs are closest in size to coturnix quail eggs? It's part of my project :)

We have Pekin Bantams and we have used 5 different hens altogether for hatching chicks. Personally, we found they were amazing broody hens that took really good care of the eggs and great mothers with the chicks. I would definitely recommend them

Back
Top Bottom