Which one do I trust?

MissPriss13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
These eggs have been in the incubator for 8 days now. I just got the humidity/thermometer today and put it in there. I've been using the thermometer that came with it. One says a little over and the other says a little under. I only got the other one so I know the humidity in the incubator. So far all 16 eggs are viable. But which one should I trust?

Last edited:
Still air? Forced Air. That could give an indication of why the discrepancy. The best thermometer I've ever used is 70 cent one from china off ebay that only read in Celsius. If it were between digital and liquid style thermometer, I'd go with liquid because the contents react to the actual energy available. Digital is man-made and is further removed from the laws of physics.

x2? In my still air, I can put 3 different thermometers in and they'll all read something different. Thats because theres no fan circulating the air and evening out the temperature. It's also completely normal. If they're all relatively close, I don't worry about it. If one is off more than the others, I take it out and calibrate it (I usually calibrate them all before every incubation). If they're all off, my temp is messed up. Good luck!

Even with a forced air, the temp is NOT the same in all locations... at least in my incubator. So, if comparing thermometers, they should be at the same height and location. I don't like the Accurite, because it only reads in whole degrees. So, from the top to the bottom of a single digit could be very close to 2 whole degrees difference.

My forced air has some temp differences too, not big ones but differences none the less. I don't use digital because I can't make myself trust them, I don't use the cheapo one that came with it because I calibrated it and it still seems off. I went to fleet farm and looked art the thermometers in the housewares dept they had a good selection hanging on hooks, I compared the readings on them and bought one of the brands that had consistent readings with others there. It was 3 dollars and seems to work great

Thank you all for the response. I candled them all tonight and they all are moving around. Should I expect to lose some of them in the coming weeks? What do you all do with your infertile eggs? Throw them out?

Thank you Duckopolis. I started out with 16 fertile eggs and have lost two so far. I buried the infertile and non vital eggs in my flower bed. I hope to have at least 6 out of the group make it all the way.

Back
Top Bottom